Time Code Window Burn start time???

Posted by SoundDude 
Time Code Window Burn start time???
November 01, 2007 04:01PM
Hi!
I'm a novice FCP user (full time audio post editor---ducking the bottles and cans...) who can generate a window burn in FCP 5.1 but:

is there a way to create a burn that has a different start time than O OO OO OO?

ie: The session start is 00:58:00:00 for this project and the counter still runs 00:00:00:00 onward.

Is there a way to change the start time/punch in some kind of offset?

It is a simple edit project---the current vid. editor wasn't aware how to generate a burn so we wanted to do it internally here from a quicktime, so there's only a single video clip/session to worry about.

Thanks for any info!
Re: Time Code Window Burn start time???
November 01, 2007 05:10PM
Use the ingenious Nick Meyers "blank text object" method:

[www.lafcpug.org]

To change the starting timecode, either use Timecode Generator ("Hour Offset" and "Frame Offset"winking smiley instead of Timecode Reader, or use Modify - Timecode on the text object above.

www.derekmok.com
November 01, 2007 06:08PM
the other way is to place the cut sequence into a new timeline.
apply the TC reader filer.

you can CHANGE THE TC of the nested sequence to 58.00.00.

select it,
Apple top-row-Zero to open it's sequence settings,
(or sequence menu > Settings)
go to "Time line Options" tab
change the starting TC.

nick
November 01, 2007 08:40PM
Not sure if this is new in FCP 6 but you can also just use the 'frame offset' slider to start at up to 1:12:00:00.

00:58:00:00 is 87000 frames, in PAL (25fps). It is still quite awkward though. Surely it would be just as easy to allow the user to input a start time.

November 02, 2007 10:39AM
Naw, no good. I tried changing the sequence start time to 09:58:00:00 as is the case here and TCR still shows from 0:00:00:00.

The TCG setting adjusting frame and hour offset works but trial and error to figure out which is your correct count!

C'mon there has to be a better way, Apple!

Any other suggestions?
November 02, 2007 10:59AM
> Naw, no good. I tried changing the sequence start time to 09:58:00:00 as is the case here and
> TCR still shows from 0:00:00:00.

Did you read the FAQ? After changing the timecode, you have to Cut the filter out and then Paste it right back on for it to update.

If you're using the method of modifying the timecode, you must be using Timecode Reader, not Timecode Generator.

www.derekmok.com
November 02, 2007 11:14AM
Hi, Derek.

I just did it again.
a) brought in my picture
b) applied filter (TCR)
c) COPY filter
d) change sequence start time
e) PAST filter

....00:00:00:00

I'm a sound editor...I'm not supposed to understand how to do this, but c'mon!
smiling smiley

I don't get it. I wish Apple/FCP would just use the easy technique QT Sync used and voila.

Any other hints? I did it once about a year ago, but.......
November 02, 2007 12:31PM
what is viola does any one have a link. i cant seem to find anything on it.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 02, 2007 01:06PM
SORRY!
"Voila!" (phrase/figure of speech: French) ie: "Presto!" / "Aha!"

Meaning QT Sync worked wonders!

smiling smiley
November 02, 2007 01:37PM
> a) brought in my picture
> b) applied filter (TCR)
> c) COPY filter
> d) change sequence start time
> e) PASTE filter

I'm betting you're applying the filter to either a clip in a timeline or a nested sequence in a timeline, but then you're changing the Sequence start timecode of the outer layer (the sequence in which the clip/nested sequence resides). That won't do anything.

Do you know how to nest? If not, we need to clear that up first.

Did you try the "blank text" method outlined in the FAQ? It is by far the best way to apply timecode burn-in, with the ability to turn it on and off without any nesting or removing/applying the filter again.

www.derekmok.com
November 02, 2007 02:19PM
Nesting: select All, select 'nest'. Did that.

Tried the blank text method. Perhaps a difference in versions of FCP but couldn't get that to do anything. For me, and for anyone who needs to address such issues as dealing with a video with no burn, QT Sync is the easiest, fastest way. Serves our purposes perfectly.

HOWEVER---I would still like to figure out how to create a 'useful' window burn (ie: that matches the start time of our audio edit sessions and not from 00:00:00:00) within FCP for my own reference AND because I have not seen a definitive answer online. Again, it seems it varies based on which version of FCP.

Derek, could you outline how you'd do it and which version of FCP you are on? (or is this found in FAQ somewhere...I could not see it, thus I started the post)

----------

Back on the nesting issue: I shouldn't have to nest (correct?) because I'm working with a single video file---bringing in a full-length video with no window burn in order TO place a burn on it.

Could have been a key command difference but I couldn't create a blank text as described. I'll re-read it though.

thanks
November 02, 2007 03:06PM
Oh Fudge.

I think I got it.

a) set session start time in FCP
b) import picture
c) drag it to timeline
d) select all in timeline; Nest Items
e) switch Browser to Effects
f) select Time Code Reader and drag it onto "(nested title)" video track in timeline

That works.

Any other 'tricks'? This one seems to work with me. I'm writing that one down now!
November 02, 2007 05:58PM
i thnk this is simpler:

1. change you fine cut sequence TC
(i'm putting this first so there's no chance of changing the wrong sequence's TC

2. new sequence.
3. drag your fine cut sequence from browser into new sequence.
(This creates a NESTED SEQUNCE)

4. Select nested sequence, hit RETURN
(this open the nested seq in the viewer

5. go to the "Filters" tab in the viewer

6. get the TC Reader from the Effects tab of the browser
7. drag it into the Filters tab in the viewer.

or rather than 6+7:

6: go to Effects Menu > Video Filters >Video > TC Reader.

hope that helps.

nick
November 02, 2007 09:26PM
Does he need to nest if it's all one clip to begin with though?

November 02, 2007 10:07PM
> Does he need to nest if it's all one clip to begin with though?

Yes, if that original clip had, say 13:58:16:12 as its starting timecode.

Since the timecode-burn tools are usually "transient" -- ie you won't need them for long -- I'd swear by the "blank Text" method. But barring that, nesting is the proper way to do it.

www.derekmok.com
November 03, 2007 12:26AM
Yeah but he shouldn't be doing a reader, just a generator, He wants to generate afresh burn starting at the head of his single-clip timeline. Am I missing something here?

November 03, 2007 10:31AM
Me too jude. it seems like he is working in contrast to fcp tc. It almost sounds like he needs the tc to show for a reason within the footage other than sync.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 04, 2007 10:17PM
Sorry, Jude and J.; needing the TC for a reason 'other than sync'? I'm a sound editor / re-recording mixer. Sync is God... so to speak. It just so happens that I'm trying to CREATE a burn, plain and simple.

The editor on this project was unable to do so (unaware how to do this) so for two reasons, I'm trying to get an easy way to do this: 1) for our own spotting session with clients, and 2) to teach the editor..

We're simply trying to do this quickly and easily. I'm not necessarily trying to generate a burn different than what is the FCP code. But-----since I'm working from an already-created QuickTime, in a fresh new FCP session JUST TO CREATE A BURN, that is the code that matters to me.

In essence, it will be the same AS the original edit session, but because the editor couldn't generate a burn, we are having to do this (again).

So mostly I'm looking for ways I can pass on to local editors so that we get time code burn on future projects and are able to display a burn for the spotting session, which we were able to do on Friday.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. Always good to see different ways of getting to the same solution. The "blank text" way is good BUT, extra steps and mostly more usable within an actual edit session, not a "quick and fast" output for audio purposes.

I miss the days of sprockets! Give me 35mm anyday running at 24fps

-J
November 04, 2007 10:33PM
you're absolutely right,
it should be simple.
oh, and sync IS important!

and sorry i skipped the part where you explained it was an existing file.
that would be simple.

1. import into FCP
2. double click into Viewer
(actualy OPEN in FCP will open the clip in a viewer window, but it wont be associated with a project, and wont export)
3. add TC READER
4. tear FILTERS tab out from viewer, into it's own floating window.
5. tweak filter settings
6. Export as QuickTime Movie, Same Settings, Self Contained.

you might also want to look at QTSync:
[www.qtsync.com]

no nasty FCP required!

nick
November 05, 2007 03:12PM
Nick-

Thanks for that, but way ahead on the QT Sync. That's the reasoning for my last couple posts: why couldn't it just be this simple all the time?!?!?!

smiling smiley

QT Sync is what we used to hit our spotting session on time with a window burn.

Thanks to all the pro FCP users out there who gave tips and tricks for this window burn headache!!!
November 05, 2007 06:35PM
>>bringing in a full-length video with no window burn in order TO place a burn on it. <<

I still don't get this. This clip would not have retained the original TC from the cut, would it? Therefore, it's a straight drop to the timeline, add TC reader or generator, adjust offset, render..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics