helicopter shot null and void

Posted by J.Corbett 
helicopter shot null and void
November 01, 2007 07:13PM
Can somebody tell me what this means. I spent 500. bucks for 1hr in a helicopter.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: helicopter shot null and void
November 01, 2007 07:20PM
Does it play out of the camera OK? If so it might be a QT problem

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 01, 2007 07:27PM
It displays every where like this. I have tried to play it on 3 different cameras. I know that the footage is probly gone but the audio is perfect. I dont get it.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
November 01, 2007 07:30PM
Looks like a bad recording, or bad playback.
November 01, 2007 07:36PM
DVCpro on DV deck that doesnt handle DVCpro?

What format was it supposed to be?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 01, 2007 07:41PM
At one instance it plays half the screen. Then when i rewind and play the same thing it plays maybe a 4th. the tc isnt being recognized sometimes (80%). Sometime the sound is perfect when its not perfect then it completely gone. It will hardly play the same way twice.

could the vibration of the helicopter cause this?

""""
November 01, 2007 07:43PM
the tape is fuji mini dv (dvm60) thats what is on the tape.

""""
November 01, 2007 07:46PM
fuji mini dv?
What camera style and mode was this recorded with?
Can you play it back ON THAT CAMERA?
Do you own, did you rent, did you hire a shooter?
If it was a rental it's worth going back there to test even if you have to pay if the video cost $500.
November 01, 2007 07:52PM
Only if the camera was in direct contact with the aircraft and not properly mounted. If someone held the camera, it's not possible. It could just be dirty heads.
November 01, 2007 08:04PM
Have you checked whether it was recorded on LP (LongPlay)? If your camera/deck is different then the LP mode from a different source might be another reason for the screen/TC breakup.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 01, 2007 08:42PM
I held the camera during in the heli.

i own the camera and it is always in sp mode. i have never used a tape twice ever. I clean my heads about once after every 8 - 10 tapes. I did try to play it on lp and got the same result.
It was recorded in 60i or whatever the default interlace set up is for a dvx100b.

I recorded with the same camera a few minutes ago and could not recreate the problem.

when i rewind the tape to the beginning i get " auto off s_reel lock" never seen that before. I see it when rewinding to the beginning in vtr mode for playback.

""""
November 01, 2007 09:00PM
>>auto off s_reel lock<<

That's a Panasonic DVX100b camera problem alert. The camera needs servicing.

November 01, 2007 09:05PM
Well thats just what i needed at such a critical time. Would a camera shop be able to do this in a relatively short amount of time?

""""
November 01, 2007 09:09PM
Yeah isn't always the way - the worst possible time for that to happen. sad smiley

It is a relatively easy fix - just a supply reel lock. Unless the camera was dropped and the transport was damaged, they should be able to fix it. I think this is quite common on the 100bs.

The thing is, the camera will keep doing this at intervals until you get it seen to, so it's a necessary evil.

November 01, 2007 09:14PM
Did you already try playing the tape in a proper deck rather than cameras used as decks? Or taken it to a post house or a video engineer to see if it's salvageable?

If all the footage is like this, period, you might want to just buy some helicopter stock footage if you don't have project-specific elements in the shot.

www.derekmok.com
November 01, 2007 11:12PM
I wish i could have stock. It has to be specific areas. whats a reel lock? jude

""""
November 02, 2007 08:17AM
I've seen that problem once or twice on a JVC DV 500 camera -- bad tape or some alignment problem - we couldn't duplicate it and it's happened at least twice in 100's of shoots -- sorry to say the picture's probably lost
November 02, 2007 08:20AM
I hate to see this happen to anybody but the footage is useless.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 02, 2007 10:21AM
A tip for next time- after you lay down your colour bars, rewind and review them- loading's when dirt gets in, and tapes can load silghtly misaligned, too.

randy

***I've sufferd for my art- now it's your turn.***
November 02, 2007 12:23PM
So would you guys say that i could probably get by with using the dvx that has this problem just 3 more times.

I have a shoot this evening at 4pm (ballet) and then saturday @ 9:30am(interview) and another at 3pm(mayor). Would you take a chance on this type of problem. I could reschedule everything but what i have today.

How long does it normally take the repair to be done?
Is there any cali repair shop that can do the repair pronto?

I kinda think that panasonic will take 5-8 weeks which i cant afford.

""""
November 02, 2007 01:56PM

So would you guys say that i could probably get by with using the dvx that has this problem just 3 more times.

Not unless you want more of the same useless footage.

I have a shoot this evening at 4pm (ballet) and then saturday @ 9:30am(interview) and another at 3pm(mayor). Would you take a chance on this type of problem. I could reschedule everything but what i have today.

Uh...no. Reschedule. Rent / borrow a cam for tonight

How long does it normally take the repair to be done?

Call a repair shop & ask them...different issues / different repair times

Is there any cali repair shop that can do the repair pronto?

Cali's a big state. Google the city / Panasonic Authorized Service Center

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 02, 2007 09:43PM
>>I kinda think that panasonic will take 5-8 weeks which i cant afford.
<<

Can you afford to go to every shoot knowing that you might come home with nothing on tape? You might have to bite the bullet and rent something - or reschedule where you can.

November 03, 2007 02:14AM
Well it goes to the hospital monday. Then on tuesday i am gonna buy another dvx100b i saw one for 2200.

I guess this is my new hemorrhoid till its fixed, and it pushes my project back 1 month.

looks like heavy sales and one cam shoots till it comes back.

BTW, i think that bens rendition of your banner is perfect. At least it says that you are a lady which i didn't know till he did the banner. I also thought that johan was a odd way of spelling joanne and he's a dude. wow

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics