Closed Caption question?

Posted by mrshow555 
Closed Caption question?
November 14, 2007 02:23PM
I have a client who wants a version of their video with Closed Captioning. It's going to be used for an online classroom video.

My question is, if they give me the video with Closed Captioning on DVD, will that info tranfer over to a Quicktime file if I rip the video? Or should I jsut have them send me the video and the transcript and use the title tool to manually add them in?

I'm not used to working with Closed Captioning and wasn't sure if the text is embeded or on a subtitle channel of the DVD authoring.

Any tips or ideas?
Re: Closed Caption question?
November 15, 2007 01:54AM
My guess is that if the closed Captioning is on the DVD, it'll be on a subtitle channel of the DVD authoring. I haven't ripped from DVD, so I don't know what you'll get off of that.
I'm also not sure about what your finished project will be- that would be helpful.
And if you're going to use FCP's text generator for subtitles, try something like Inqscribe. It works really well, and can lay in subtitles for the whole thing...
Re: Closed Caption question?
November 18, 2007 02:48PM
Closed Caption is a file that is different than a sub-title track. To be able to see captioning, you need a DVD player with closed captioning feature as well as a tv with that feature.

I authored a DVD for the government that required CC and to my surprise there are many DVD players out there that does not support CC.

The CC file is attached to the track inside DVDSP similar to a subtitle track but that's about the only similarity. Whereas you can manipulate the subtitles in DVDSP because they show up as little clips in the subtitle section of the track, CC are just embedded into the track. You can't manipulated inside DVDSP. You must open it up in Text Editor to change timecode info and text.

If your client wants CC on a video tape. Then technically it's not just title tool text on top of video cuz you can't turn that off. True CC requires that you be able to turn it off or on.

As for ripping the DVD video with CC, I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you about that but I would guess that you won't get the CC info if you ripped it off the DVD. But somewhere there should be the original CC text file (maybe a STL file) which you can embed into the tape master via a post/dub house. Again, I don't have any direct experience with this either.

Best of luck,

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics