DVCPRO HD Codec Missing?

Posted by philsaunders 
DVCPRO HD Codec Missing?
November 19, 2007 03:10PM
Hi all,

I've been trying to capture P2 footage from my HVX using my 2GHZ G4 17" Powerbook, (OSX 10.4.11) but when I set my Audio/Video settings to DVC PRO HD 720p/24 it tells me I the codec (DVCPRO HD 720p/60) is missing or I don't have the corresponding decompression hardware. Then in the P2 import window can see the thumbnails of the footage and download off of the card, but can't play any footage (missing codec window appears again.) In the Video Settings window it only allows me to select DVCPRO HD 720p/60 (missing) or none. (Also why 60, when I'm capturing 24p footage?)

So the question is, did the codec somehow get corrupted or deleted since I installed FCP Studio (1, not 2) and if so, do I need to reinstall FCP to get it back, or is my videocard just not able to handle editing DVCPRO HD?

Thanks for your help.

Phil.
Re: DVCPRO HD Codec Missing?
November 20, 2007 05:20AM
The way to check is go to Library>QuickTime and see if the DVCProHD components are in the folder. There's 6 of them.

Not sure about the G4's video card tho. Someone else?

Clay
November 20, 2007 12:53PM
Silly question Phil, but have you done all the updates to FCP Studio -

When we started our film we were one update off of being able to preview clips from the Firestore.

Once we got the update... there it was.

g-

PS - If this is the Phil I know, funny meeting you here!
November 20, 2007 10:33PM
Hey Clay,

Thanks for the response. The components are indeed not in the Quicktime Library. In fact, all that's in that folder are the FlipForMac WMV components. There should be more shouldn't there?

So where can I download the components from, or do I have to do a reinstall? Sadly I'm on location and didn't think to bring my disks with me...

And Geno, yeah I am up to date, that's the first thing I checked! And it is me! I thought it was funny too to have our posts back-to-back. How's the movie coming?

I'm in South Dakota right now, shooting interviews with Anne's Grandpa who just turned 100 yesterday!

Phil.
November 21, 2007 06:25AM
Phil,

yes, there should be a bunch of other stuff in there too including motion and livetype components plus various others depending on grafix card etc. You can't just download them, they're proprietary with FCP and not freely available. Sounds like you'd first need to try a re-install, although without discs....?

Never leave home without 'em.

Clay
November 21, 2007 10:17AM
Clay,

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that... Lesson learned. I should still be able to download the footage off of the cards, just won't be able to start editing or view dailies until I get home, I guess.

Thanks again.

Phil
July 15, 2008 07:04PM
I'm going to have to bump this up to the top and sort of re-ask this question....

Here's my issue: I have all 6 codecs mentioned above in the Library/Quicktime folder but I'm having Audio issues... All of my P2 cards were Archived to Disk Image while I was on the road during a recent shoot... Now that I'm back in the edit suite, I wnt to log and Transfer only certain parts of all these cards...

I mount the images and open Log & Transfer (Cmd-Shift-8) ... so far so good, they appear as they should...

I select a clip in the left hand column to review the clip so I can set my in & out point but I can't hear audio....

If I select an in and out point and add to the queue the clip transfers perfectly.... when I play it back from the logging bin or after I drag it to the timeline, I can hear it fine.... the only place I can't hear audio is from within the Log and Transfer window itself...

This obviously makes setting in and Out points quite difficult because I have to read everyobnes lips and guess where to make my marks....

I assume I have all the settings correct because i can hear the clips in the timeline and from the library / bins.... VIEW/AUDIO PLAYBACK is set to BUILT IN OUTPUT but it doesnt matter which setting I have that set at, none of them effect the audio in the L&T window...

I can see the audio meters moving in the IMPORT SETTING tab of the L&T window...

I'm using FCP 6.0.3 on an Dual 3Ghz Quad Core Intel Xenon

Thanks in advance for your input,

Christoper Scott Knell
FireLine Studios
Burbank
July 16, 2008 05:57AM
Strange. Should be working. Sounds to me like a setup problem. Coupla things to try:

Do you have your clip settings in the Log and Capture window set to capture Audio and Video?

When you set up the project in FCP, did you use an easy setup? Like for DVCProHD 1080 or 720 or whatever you're ingesting? Could be you're not using the right setup.

Also, what capture card do you have on board i.e. AJA, Blackmagic etc.? Try setting Audio output to it instead of to the Built-in Output.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics