Banding of Motion graphics and Quick Time movies

Posted by Graham Kitchener 
Banding of Motion graphics and Quick Time movies
November 22, 2007 10:50AM
I've just spent an age producing a nice Motion graphic. It plays well in Motion, and the export out to Quick Time plays smoothly as well. But, when I imported it into FCP, and rendered at Best qaulity, neither the QT or Motion project play as well. Basically, on a couple of occasions it has a small stutter, but the worst part is a gradiated light that comes up gradually to full intensity is banded, and all the text looks soft and jagged.
How do I solve this? Any help would be mucho apprciated
Graham
Re: Banding of Motion graphics and Quick Time movies
November 22, 2007 11:10AM
What are your sequence settings in FCP? The DV codec is really tough on gradients and text. Are you using a DV settings?

You could try an 8-bit or (better yet) 10-bit sequence in FCP to avoid the banding and to get better text.

Also, are you monitoring via firewire or do you have an I/O card? Are you using external video and audio monitors? The computer monitor will not show you full quality. FCP is not designed to show full quality in the canvas. It's designed to show full quality out the FW port or I/O card, should you be so equipped.

You will need an I/O card to monitor 8-bit or 10-bit sequences properly.

debe
Re: Banding of Motion graphics and Quick Time movies
November 22, 2007 11:10AM
You need to post some specifics: what project properties did you use in Motion, i.e. what setup did you use? What format did you export from Motion? What format is your FCP sequence? For best results, all those things have to jive well. Also, what are you monitoring on?

Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics