Split track QT output

Posted by Garret 
Split track QT output
November 26, 2007 03:12PM
My composer needs a split track Quicktime with burn-in TC. I'm looking for the best/fastest way to do this.

Here's how I'm doing it:

1. In Sequence>Settings>Audio Options, changing the grouping to "Dual Mono"
2. In Timeline, right-click to the left of each audio track to assign the production sound to Audio Outputs 1, music to Audio Outputs 2.
3. Mark in/out
4. File>Export>Quicktime Conversion... Quicktime movie settings:

Video: DVCPRO HD 720p60, size: 1208x720 HD,
Sound: 48kHz/16 bit/Discrete Channel

5. Use Compressor to make a small QT with TC burn-in

Any suggestions for a better workflow?

The one thing that I'd like to improve upon is the export from FCP time. I would think there would be a way to Export>Quicktime Movie without the "Conversion." But in my tests I couldn't get the tracks to stay split. Hopefully I'm just missing something.

Thanks,
Garret
Re: Split track QT output
November 26, 2007 03:28PM
In other circumstances the "QuickTime Conversion" might be a problem, but in your case, it's for your composer, so is the moderate quality loss a problem? In fact, I would think that many sound designers and composers might want a smaller file which plays back smoother, as long as it's frame-accurate.

The way I did split-track QuickTime movies before was to export the picture, then export each individual track as a separate audio-only track and then marry them in QuickTime Pro. Not really any more convenient than your method, as far as I can tell.

www.derekmok.com
November 26, 2007 07:33PM

The one thing that I'd like to improve upon is the export from FCP time. I would think there would be a way to Export>Quicktime Movie without the "Conversion." But in my tests I couldn't get the tracks to stay split.

that's odd. i've done plenty of those.
Export as QuickTime move, using same settings, and my tracks stay split.

let me try DVCPro HD...
nope, no problems there

try trashing your prefs, perhaps?
[www.lafcpug.org]

nick
November 26, 2007 08:04PM
derek
In other circumstances the "QuickTime Conversion" might be a problem, but in your case, it's for your composer, so is the moderate quality loss a problem? In fact, I would think that many sound designers and composers might want a smaller file which plays back smoother, as long as it's frame-accurate.

Right, since it's for the composer and since I'm going to compress it to a tiny QT, the loss of quality will be fine.

nick
that's odd. i've done plenty of those.

Interesting. Maybe my tests were faulty. When I'm back on FCP I'll try it again. Prefs have recently been trashed.

Thanks, guys.

Garret
November 26, 2007 09:00PM
I find that if you Export > Quicktime Movie with discrete mono tracks then the resultant file if opened in FCP will show that the track splits have been preserved correctly BUT if you open it in any other QT app such as QuickTime Player then it will not recognise the split and will play all tracks panned center.

the workaround is to set the sequence to Stereo and pan the audio to create the split
November 26, 2007 09:02PM
are you perhaps NESTING the dual mono sequnce to add the TC reader?

nick
November 26, 2007 09:14PM
oops.. andy posted while i was writing.

i think the issue is the 2 tracks in the resulting QT file are both MONO, playing out the centre.
maybe your composer will be able to pan them in their system.
(probably why i didn't get calls from irate sound people: "hey your audio is not 2tk like we asked!"winking smiley

and tuns out nesting is a SOLUTION, not a problem:
nest your slit audio sequence,
select the 2tk mono audio and make it stereo.
now the tracks are PANNED left and right, and the QTMovie export will work, even in QTplayer.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics