Premier files to FCP
November 27, 2007 07:42AM
Can I import Premier-built files (.avi) into FCP 6? If not is there a work around to configure a library of materials so that it can be updated and aded to in FCP?
Re: Premier files to FCP
November 27, 2007 09:03AM
FCP can play and edit with AVIs, just not well, at least the last time I checked. Not sure if FCP6 deals with them well, but every time I've inherited a project with AVIs in them, performance slows down to a crawl. Doesn't Adobe Premiere have any options to export to QuickTime clips rather than AVIs?

www.derekmok.com
November 27, 2007 09:37AM
Thanks for the ideas. I don't have Premier to see if it will export in QT, but if it will that woulds seem to be my solution. I understand from the source of the files that they were SD footage edited on some type of Canopus system that has its own unique motherboard/capture system. Th concern is to move hours of finished materials on to a FCP system before the older Premier-based hardward dies or is obsolete. Any advice on how to rearchive and carry on with a huge library of materials in that format would be appreciated.
November 28, 2007 12:00PM
I was in the same boat to a certain extent. When I've needed old projects from the Premiere PC, I play it in the Premiere timeline and recapture it in FCP. I can still revise the old Premiere project in FCP, but after a certain point it gets a bit ridiculous and you might as well start from scratch.

I've also burned the Premiere projects to a DVD, then recaptured them in FCP by playing them on a set-top DVD player.
November 28, 2007 12:26PM
thanks Paul,

I'd be looking to maintain the best quality I could and working from DVDs won't do that which is why I was wondering about importing the Premier files into FCP.

How are you 'recapturing' from the Premier timeline into FCP?
November 28, 2007 12:42PM
I output S-video from PC into my miniDV deck, which is connected to my G5. Then I "capture now" in FCP using non-controllable device.
November 28, 2007 12:47PM
great, thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics