Monitor Calibration hell

Posted by Johan Polhem 
Monitor Calibration hell
November 28, 2007 07:30AM
Guys.

I have an issue with our broadcast monitors.

We have been having problems where the footage we grade in our suite looks great, but when broadcasted on TV it looks like crap.
Is too dark and too saturated.

I just dont understand how to calibrate the monitors we have?

I can use that blue gel to look through but that makes it much much worse and we cant adjust the HUE or Phase shift in PAL anyway so whats the point?

JVC does not come out to sites in Oslo to calibrate so I am really at a loss here.

Anyone know how to do this?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Re: Monitor Calibration hell
November 28, 2007 07:41AM
Run an NTSC color bar in final cut- the PAL one doesn't have the black lines to calibrate brightness. step 1- turn off the chroma/color. Adjust brightness up until you see 3 black lines at the bottom. Think the darkest one is supposed to be digital black, the next one is supposed to be video black, and can't remember the third one. Adjust it until the first 2 lines merge and are of the same tone. Then adjust the contrast- if u boost it up, the white bar at the bottom is supposed to look like it's growing bigger. Scale it done until it stops 'shrinking'. Then turn the color back on and adjust the blue bars until it all matches.
November 28, 2007 09:17AM
Thanks.

I will give this a try

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
November 28, 2007 06:33PM
The PAL bars do have the pluge bars at the bottom right. I would set up on PAL, since you are working in PAL. There's a calibration guide in the FAQ here : How Do I Calibrate My Broadcast Monitor?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics