Clueless Question on HD played on Standard TV

Posted by standard 
Clueless Question on HD played on Standard TV
November 28, 2007 08:55AM
Apologies for this idiotic question.

I am working in 1920 x 1080. To be safe, I burned the client's DVD in DV using letterboxing.
It looked fine played out on our standard TV.

But in my format, will the client be viewing the mov the way the home viewer would see it on standard TV? That is (embarassment) will HD movs have letterboxing on standard TV?

Because event though everything is within title safe for HD, I'm getting worried that it will all be oversized for standard, and maybe I should consider letterboxing on HD?
Needless to say, I don't have an HD monitor to check this.
Re: Clueless Question on HD played on Standard TV
November 28, 2007 10:15AM
What camera was this shoot on? Not many actually do 1920x1080. Perhaps you are referring to HDV?

If you downconverted the 16:9 frame size to DV, then how did you accomplish this?

Generally, an HD sized frame will pillarbox on a standard DVD. That is black bars at the top and bottom.
November 28, 2007 11:38AM
"Generally, an HD sized frame will pillarbox on a standard DVD. That is black bars at the top and bottom."

Don't you mean "letterbox?" I thought pillarboxes were 2 vertical bars at the side of the frame, as putting 4:3 footage into a 16:9 project.
November 28, 2007 01:51PM
Hmm... if you letterboxed the thing... and he watches it on a widescreen... It's gonna pillarbox as well... and he'll be watching a really boxed version of his video
November 28, 2007 03:17PM
if you set it to 16:9 in DVDSPRO it will play full screen on a widescreen tv and letterboxed on 4:3 tv
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics