Advice on installing FCS2 on second Mac Pro internal drive and also keeping FCS1 on another drive

Posted by Jvasey 
I have a Mac Pro with 2 internal bootable drives...on my first drive I would like to keep the original version of FCS with FCP 5 intact. On the second bootable drive I would like to install FCS2 with FCP 6...and keep the two segregated for now. I have one or two projects that I would like to finish up with FCP 5.

However, the installation instructions that came with FCS2 indicate the installer will look for ALL versions of FC and will upgrade them (as I have the upgradable version). To get around this, I am thinking of physically removing the first bootable drive so the installer won't see the earlier version of FCS. To continue with the install, I will then have to provide my serial number for FCP5...and then I should be hopefully good to go.

Has anyone else out there tried this workaround to avoid having the installer upgrade all earlier versions it finds?

Thanks,
John
I just installed my FCS 2 upgrade copy onto 1 of my bootable system drive partitions, and the install did not affect the copy of FCS 1 or FCP HD on my other boot drives. I believe that the "All versions of Final Cut" refers to only the drive you are installing to.

Best,
Pete
I did this with FCP 4.5 on one bootable internal and 5.1.x on the other. No hassles.

It's probably more effective than installing one version or the other to a separate user account on the same drive. I did do this however with Avid Express Pro. Works well.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Toggle Audio Scrub with Shift-S !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics