FCP6 ? HDCAM deck (J-H3) ? Kona 3: No Comm?

Posted by jadeal 
FCP6 ? HDCAM deck (J-H3) ? Kona 3: No Comm?
December 10, 2007 01:00AM
I've just started the process of capturing and logging my HDCAM tapes, but I'm having trouble with the J-H3 deck communicating with my system. It's going though the Kona 3 card, using the HD-SDI connection. I'm using the ProRes codec, and have Tiger not Leopard, so none of those issues. I can play the footage into the capture & log preview window, but there's no time code coming through and I can't control the deck from FCP (only manually). The message under the preview window is 'No Communication'. I've tried numerous setups in both FCP and the AJA control panel, but nothing works. I've checked the cables and redone them to make sure they're hooked up properly from the deck to the Kona 3 breakout box and then from the breakout box to the computer. Sheesh, this is driving me nuts as this ought to be the easy part. (I've been messing with this all weekend and am at my wits end.) Any ideas out there? (And yes, there is time code as this was shot with the Sony 900R and I can see the code on the deck.) Thanks.
Re: FCP6 ? HDCAM deck (J-H3) ? Kona 3: No Comm?
December 10, 2007 04:01PM
A couple of thoughts.

Our JH3 unit does not have the iLink Firewire option, but if yours does, you may want to check and see if there is a menu option which switches the machine control from iLInk to 9pin. Our DVCAM deck does have such a menu and you have to pick between 9pin and firewire for control. As you are going HD-SDI you'd want 9pin.

2.) The back of the deck has a "remote in" 9 pin connector and an RS-232 connector. The one you want to go to the Kona card is the remote in 9pin.

3.) If its not that, then its probably a device control setting.

Mike Klinger
Tree Falls Post/Clonetown
Los Angeles
Re: FCP6 ? HDCAM deck (J-H3) ? Kona 3: No Comm?
December 10, 2007 07:49PM
You REALLY need to contact Aja Tech Support (FREE). They will walk you through it all. Best Tech Support in the biz. You can try all our suggestions...but that could take days / weeks and who needs that. Aja TS will quickly eliminate non-factors and have you up & running in minutes.

1-530-271-3190

Ask for Tech Support & have your Kona serial number / system config / problem ready for them. Rudy is da bomb.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics