Managing two file sets: HD and a Downconverted File

Posted by shaggy223 
Managing two file sets: HD and a Downconverted File
December 10, 2007 04:13PM
Hello,

I've taken on a HD project where the client already has a fully capable FCP HD system (black magic, storage, etc...) in which they want me to edit on. I prefer to work on my home system, but am not sure if I'll be able to handle the full HD files.

So here is what I want to do. Capture all the files on the client system, full resolution. Using media manager, I'll create an offline low-res version which I can bring home.

Once I have a locked cut, I'll transfer the project file to the HD system, relink and then have an online version ready to go.

Does this sound like a viable workflow? I haven't worked with HD, nor have I ever downconverted. Any potential snags? If I have the storage space, could I handle the HD files (2Ghz Intel Core Duo. 2 GB Ram. MacBook Pro)?

Regards,

Matt
Re: Managing two file sets: HD and a Downconverted File
December 10, 2007 04:47PM
Hi, Matt.

that's a perfectly viable system to use.

Using media manager, I'll create an offline low-res version which I can bring home.
MM settings for the record:

? Recompress Mode
? DONT delete unused
? Base Media File Names on Existing File Names

Once I have a locked cut, I'll transfer the project file to the HD system, relink and then have an online version ready to go.

rather than simpy conecting your current project to the HD, you can use the Media Manager to make an offline version with the sequences set to the HD settings.
any motion effects yo've added will be scaled up the HD frame-size.

MM settings:

? Create Offline Mode
? DONT delete unused
? Base Media File Names on Existing File Names.

this has an add advantage:
any non-tape based files you've added , like graphics, or livetype titles, or music tracks will appear in this "Offline" sequence.

you can than use Media Manager to COPY these files to a small drive you can take to the work system

I haven't worked with HD, nor have I ever downconverted.

you might want to expriment with your downconvert settings.
try DVCPro HD 720, try also the new Prores codecs.
although if monitoring on an external monitor is important go with what you can are set up for.

oh, i've seen a bug with Media Manager and ProRes: it gives an inaccurate file-size prediction.
use a data rate calculator to figure out your storage requirements.
free ones available from AJA or Digital HEaven

cheers,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics