QUICKTIME 7.3.1

Posted by harry323 
QUICKTIME 7.3.1
December 13, 2007 03:15PM
This update just popped up on my screen.

Any guinea pigs out there tried it yet?

Harry
Re: QUICKTIME 7.3.1
December 13, 2007 03:17PM
Let Wolsky do it

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 13, 2007 03:41PM
Ha! Good thinking.

H.
December 13, 2007 04:31PM
I'm usein' it right now w/FCP 6.0.2. - no issues as of yet.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 13, 2007 06:22PM
This release includes the following enhancements (from Apple's security bulletin):

"Viewing a maliciously crafted QTL file may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution A heap buffer overflow exists in QuickTime's handling of QTL files. By enticing a user to view a maliciously crafted QTL file, an attacker may cause an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue through improved bounds checking.

"Multiple vulnerabilities in QuickTime's Flash media handler Multiple vulnerabilities exist in QuickTime's Flash media handler, the most serious of which may lead to arbitrary code execution. With this update, the Flash media handler in QuickTime is disabled except for a limited number of existing QuickTime movies that are known to be safe. Credit to Tom Ferris of Adobe Secure Software Engineering Team (ASSET), Mike Price of McAfee Avert Labs, and security researchers Lionel d'Hauenens & Brian Mariani of Syseclabs for reporting this issue."

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 13, 2007 11:53PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This release includes the following enhancements
> (from Apple's security bulletin):
>
> "Viewing a maliciously crafted QTL file may lead
> to an unexpected application termination or
> arbitrary code execution A heap buffer overflow
> exists in QuickTime's handling of QTL files. By
> enticing a user to view a maliciously crafted QTL
> file, an attacker may cause an unexpected
> application termination or arbitrary code
> execution. This update addresses the issue through
> improved bounds checking.
>
> "Multiple vulnerabilities in QuickTime's Flash
> media handler Multiple vulnerabilities exist in
> QuickTime's Flash media handler, the most serious
> of which may lead to arbitrary code execution.
> With this update, the Flash media handler in
> QuickTime is disabled except for a limited number
> of existing QuickTime movies that are known to be
> safe. Credit to Tom Ferris of Adobe Secure
> Software Engineering Team (ASSET), Mike Price of
> McAfee Avert Labs, and security researchers Lionel
> d'Hauenens & Brian Mariani of Syseclabs for
> reporting this issue."

Your scaring me.
December 14, 2007 12:13AM
I wouldn't be too scared unless you have a fondness for Britney Spears pr0n. In which case, you deserve to be a bit scared, really. tongue sticking out smiley

BTW I installed 7.3.1. today and so far all is well, although I'm still having the same issue with certain .avis I've had since v7.2, or .3. Can't remember which.

AL
December 14, 2007 02:14AM
I read an Apple article a while back that recommended not upgrading Quicktime at all until you next upgrade your FCP software. Your current version of FCP was streamlined for the release of Quicktime which was current at that time. If you upgrade Quicktime randomly without a later version of FCP you can run into problems simply because the newer version of Quicktime knows things your FCP software doesn't.

So if it ain't broke....

Alan F.
December 14, 2007 02:33AM
Well, I've been upgrading QT and FCP as they have come available for about seven years and so far it's all been OK. Did have some trouble with 7.3 as I said not playing certain flavours of .AVI, but this is unrelated to FCP.

I think the thing we all say is, if you can help it, don't upgrade anything in the middle of a project.

December 14, 2007 07:03AM
One thing this update STILL DOES NOT fix is the tearing and choppy video when playing full screen or very large windowed video (irrespective of actual video size) in Leopard QT player on 30" ACD at 2560x1600...

This has been a problem since Leopard was released and is only limited to QT player not QuickView or iTunes.

Apple isn't listening to 100s of people with 30" displays running Leopard - not happy...

FIX IT!!!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 14, 2007 12:42PM
Hey Ben,

Quit braggin' on your 30" ACD already, will ya? Jeez

the finger smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 14, 2007 07:54PM
Its only braggin if it works properly! winking smiley sad smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 15, 2007 05:04PM
Hi All

I found this QT help site last week while trying to fix my system -

The site is just about QT is is fairly active -

At the moment QT 7.3 is causing many problems
from what I read on this site-

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=932&start=0
December 15, 2007 05:14PM
I'm trying to find more concrete posts on (what i'm increasingly suspecting to be) a 7.3 bug. Capturing DV clips longer than 5 minutes causes a long/dropped frame, and what are the workarounds on the problem.
December 15, 2007 05:36PM
strypes,
when you ask questions like this you really need to put in more details:

OS version,
FCP version
QT version
December 15, 2007 05:48PM
There are problems with QT7.3 and older versions of Final Cut.
December 15, 2007 06:01PM
LOL. Story time...

OS version Leopard 10.5.1, Final Cut 6.0.2, QT 7.3, ESATA Raid, DV Firewire connection, Dual G5.

Problem: On a dark and stormy night, after logging, I ran a batch capture and Final Cut aborted capture due to dropped frames numerous times, and it didn't go away even when i scrolled back the in/out points. Ended up breaking up shots until it captured cleanly. Figuring it could have been a tape/deck/camera issue, I decided to run a capture now, with the option of making new clips on t/c break and to create subclips afterwards, because, folks, by this time, i was overrunning my edit time and needed a quick solution. So basically, capture now created a couple of clips... Then, when i ran the clips through detect long frames in final cut, it detected consistent long frames throughout the clip. The distance was fairly uniform- almost every 00:00:05:17 (i'm on PAL) it generated a long frame of around 3-5 frames. The problem, however is not consistent, there has been segments captured in the same system that runs longer than 5 minutes WITHOUT a stuttering/long frame issue, and areas with less (distance between start of clip to long frame less than 2 mins), but it occurs around 6-8 times or more per tape. After seeing a few posts on various forums, i'm becoming fairly suspicious of these new QT updates (they need a big warning sign).
December 15, 2007 06:16PM
Tried a different tape other than the one throwing up this error Strypes?

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 15, 2007 06:21PM
What's the deck? What settings are you using?
December 15, 2007 06:41PM
Setting is on DV-PAL, firewire pal. Using a Sony DSR-40. Thought it could have been a deck issue as it is an old deck. However, recently i captured in my colleague's system, who doesn't fancy updating his stuff at all... he's on a 5.1.4 and i believe probably with qt 7.1 or .2, captured 2 whole tapes without any instance of drop frames/long frames from the same deck. And yes, i tried it maybe 6 tapes already, with consistently the same problem.

Currently, i'm still trying to diagnose the problem- it could be the deck, it could be the camera the footage was shot on, but it also could be QT 7.3. It seems to be a similar problem with people running 5.1.4, where after a few minutes, the footage will stutter for a bit, even in the middle of a take.
December 15, 2007 07:36PM
What about spotlight? Have you got spotlight indexing your capture? This could cause a hiccup.

Here's the old FAQ on this. Not sure if it's relevant for your OS, but sounds similar.

FCP 4.5 (and older) drops frames with 10.4.9 capture

December 15, 2007 07:58PM
Hmm... can i just reference the entire external drive with that, or does it only work on folders?
December 23, 2007 09:06PM
Alright, found the cause- it was the external raid (a buffalo drive). Captured to my internal hard disk and there was no hiccups. Captured to my drive, and the problem occurred again.

It's strange, even though specs say it runs at 7200 rpm... Turned off spotlight indexing, turned off journaling, and the problem still persisted. Just sent an email to the company.
December 23, 2007 09:27PM
Are these FireWire drives RAIDed? I've had some drives -- particularly FireWire 800 drives -- that don't play nice with capture devices also hooked up via FireWire. They actually slow down the entire pipeline to sub-FireWire 400 levels -- which would stop even DV in its tracks. Are your FireWire devices on separate buses?

www.derekmok.com
December 23, 2007 10:52PM
It's an eSata raid- a raid 5
January 23, 2008 07:37AM
>the Flash media handler in
> QuickTime is disabled except for a limited number
> of existing QuickTime movies that are known to be
> safe.

Someone knows that this means, and what kind of flash movies are "known to be safe"?

I read about flash 5 is acepted, but this is not true, quicktime do not read flash 4 or 5 swfs.

I have a lot of videos with credits and control with flash 5, if i not found a solution, I will redo all of them, and I dont know an alternative for flash layers.

thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics