AVID to FCP and back toAVID

Posted by optixman 
AVID to FCP and back toAVID
December 13, 2007 07:11PM
She works with AVID software on her PC ( AVID LIQUID ?? ) , I do believe she said avi as you mentioned DV-Avi, I just want to know the best way for her to give me her video clips she works on her system and bring them into FCP and edit them and get them back to her for her to view on her system..

tks neil...
Re: AVID to FCP and back toAVID
December 14, 2007 01:32AM
FCP can edit with AVI clips. Liquid can import quicktime so I don't think it really matters one way or the other.

Be careful about gamma shifts though. I noticed that at times when using AVIs from Premiere.

andy
December 14, 2007 09:11AM
> FCP can edit with AVI clips. Liquid can import quicktime so I don't think it really matters one way
> or the other.

For me, the issue with AVIs is that they have never played well in FCP. The last time I had to do this was about two years ago when a woman had a bunch of clips captured in Sony Vegas (I think?) and never converted the media. (No research, no knowledge!) The clips weren't even HD, but I got a Spinning Beachball of Death every 90 seconds or so and playback was not good.

Don't know if FCP6 handles this better, but AVIs have traditionally never been friends to FCP.

www.derekmok.com
December 14, 2007 12:29PM
I'm not familiar with AVID Liquid, but Express Pro & Media Composer imports and exports quicktimes without a hitch. I've done a similar process where I've exported out of an AVID some shots for an After Effects artist, who just returned a quicktime file of the finished shot back to me.

Unless, of course, you're working at an offline resolution and need to carry tape and timecode information forward with the footage for an eventual uprez. Then you're getting into a tech problem that I've never sorted out, and you're better off avoiding.
December 14, 2007 05:43PM
You might want to give it another shot again Derek. I did a test about 6-8 months ago using FCP 5.1 and Premiere Pro 1.5 AVIs captured through a Matrox card. I imported the files with no problem and they played at the full render setting in the timeline (standard DV/NTSC codec). There were no dropped frames, crashes or anything else out of the ordinary.

However, I did notice some issues with the gamma not matching in another AVI from a different Premiere system (probably not Pro). Also, with the Matrox card, Premiere was capturing 720x486 actual size with a display size of 720x480. When opened in quicktime, QT read it solely as 720x480. The aspect didn't change, it looked like it just dropped 6 scan lines of black from the AVI.

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics