Best way to record from cable TV.

Posted by economicsprofessor 
Best way to record from cable TV.
December 14, 2007 06:35PM
I want to record a commercial off television and edit it in Final Cut. I guess this means either plugging the cable into some device which plugs into the MAC, or using the antenna out from the television to plug into such device.

I came across a website ---Elgato. Will their gizmos do the job? They have more than one. What is the best solution?
Re: Best way to record from cable TV.
December 14, 2007 10:23PM
To do this without a capture card typically you need a firewire device that has analog inputs. Like some cameras. In my case, I use a DVC Pro deck that can take an analog signal in and send it through the firewire to FCP.

Other than that, you can use a DVD recorder to record the commercial and then use a program like MPEG Streamclip to pull the video off it and convert it to a usable quicktime file.

Andy
December 15, 2007 09:14PM
I use S video from TV to mini DV cam or deck -

then firewire it to FCP -

I do this alot so that I can see what effects and edits are being used -
I have learned alot doing this-- Jay--
December 17, 2007 08:05PM
Take a look-see @ EyeTV for Mac. I just put a splitter on my TV cable, put one end into the EyeTV unit, stuck in a USB port in the back of my iMac and I have channels 2 through 99 that I can view and RECORD! Then I use it to output the recorded video into the format I want. I believe it also has a way of hooking to your VCR and/or DVD player and can also handle HiDef (apparently from a HiDef antenna). The basic channels 2-99 filled my needs, so didn't go any further with the configuration abilities of EyeTV. www.elgato.com

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics