First FCP Problem in many Years

Posted by Neil Lamens 
First FCP Problem in many Years
December 18, 2007 02:06PM
Hello:

Well...................I finally got it. I'm running FCP3 maxed out. For the first time today, I'm working 2 projects of differing formats 4:3 and 16:9. I was capturing in a seq setting of 16:9 after working a 4:3 project. Changed sequence settings began to Batch capture, and all of a sudden capture stopped and a click-click-click sound began to come from box, and that dar-garn "beachball" that wouldn't go away, reared its ugly head for the first time in years.

I was capturing on my internal drive, force quit by using the small button on G4 silver box, although it took longer, everything intialized, so I figured I'd empty my internal capture drive onto an empty fire wire drive which I've done many times, and now during movement of files, system stopped and beach ball has returned.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I should have had plenty of space to capture what was on my internal but maybe I got below that 15% keep free space.

Sure could use some help..........Sailho..........Neil
Re: First FCP Problem in many Years
December 18, 2007 02:39PM
Sounds like a drive failure, but it may be a motherboard problem as well. Start with Disk Warrior or a new drive.
December 18, 2007 02:51PM
Hi Tom:

Force quit again, then shut down system. Turned back on and my Audio/video drive does not show on the desk top.

Played around with system, can't even find audio/video drive listed.

I'm 90% saved on assets.......Going to try to complete project using ext drives. This will push it to perform or not.... I guess.

Is there a way of locating this drive???? or that where Disk Warrior comes in????

Bummer............ Neil
December 18, 2007 02:59PM
Disk Warrior can only work on a drive if it's mounted. Is this an internal drive? An external drive? What kind of a drive is it? How's it formatted?
December 18, 2007 06:08PM
Tom
Disk Warrior can only work on a drive if it's mounted.
Disk Warrior will see any drived which is seen by the system no matter whether it is mounted or not.

Andreas
December 18, 2007 06:19PM
Thanks for the correction. What I meant to say was that if the system doesn't see the drive then DW won't either.
December 18, 2007 06:42PM
80G internal drive, one of 2, drive with OS working, non-working drive is used for capturing and storage of media. Running on a G4, OS 10.2.8.
December 18, 2007 07:13PM
The clicking noise sounds like a drive failure. Can you remove the extra media HD and see if things clear up? Better not to have it connected and confusing the issue.

Make sure to earth yourself when playing around inside your computer.

December 18, 2007 08:16PM
> What I meant to say was that if the system doesn't see the drive then DW won't either.

Most of the time that's true, but there are exceptions -- I've seen some cases where a drive is invisible to the system (and one or two which, in fact, get that dreaded "Cannot be read -- Initialize or Dismount" message), but DiskWarrior can see and repair them. Some of those involved launching DiskWarrior when the drive is attempting to mount. A real long shot, but worth trying.

www.derekmok.com
December 18, 2007 08:38PM
System seems to be working with the OS HD and my saved media from my external FW drives.

I feel the same way that I need; at least to clean-up the system and since it can't be read, shouldn't be missed. I'm burning a DVD as I write and have 3 other projects that I want to be certain are safely saved. Then I'll dig inside. I figure since we're going as is, I'm going to keep on keep'in on.

Excuse while I put on a pot of coffee...........Thanks......Neil
December 19, 2007 09:39AM
Well..........it seems the Gods are on my side this season. Worked well into the night. Shut down system. Went to address the fix this morning and clicking begain again then stopped, but this time the problem int drive Audio/Video showed on desk top. Out of curiousity, I took small files that I didn't need and trashed them, slowing working up to transferring larger video files to my ext firewire drives. I'm just about all transferred.

I'm going to clean drive see what happens and give it a test run...........I know I'll have the drive confidence hovering about to contend with.

Thanks for your help...........Sailho..........Neil
December 19, 2007 10:33AM
Did you literally mean that your drive was called Audio/Video? If so, you should get rid of that / in the name. Illegal character.

www.derekmok.com
December 19, 2007 04:03PM
Whether the drive came back or not, that clicking is a warning...that drive is on it's way out. Replace it.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics