LAFCPUG's first ever actual adds-itself-up Poll. The HDV question.

Posted by Jude Cotter 
LAFCPUG's first ever actual adds-itself-up Poll. The HDV question.
December 21, 2007 12:13AM
Sorry to do this twice, but since we have just had this functionality added to the forum, I thought I'd add a proper poll for people to register a vote with.

You can only vote once, but you can revoke your vote if you change your mind later.

So. HDV. What's your take?
Re: LAFCPUG's first ever actual adds-itself-up Poll. The HDV question.
December 21, 2007 12:53AM
Unabashed bump.

December 21, 2007 08:53AM
Well... now that the questions have changed a bit... given a choice I think most will go with something else if it's available. I originally voted Yes but I do have some reservations and I would go with something else if given a comparable choice but I wouldn't say it's "not that great". I still think it's VERY good if shot correctly so I abstain from this poll & stick with my anwers in the other thread.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 21, 2007 10:01AM
anything format that is GOP based is worthless if you asked me. This is called PROffessional video NOT consumer....it's good for my home camera, not for my proffessional camera
December 21, 2007 10:35AM
This is going to give you a very different perspective I think Jude. I'd do some tests with a hire camera on the sort of thing you want to shoot.

Personally from our conversations I think you'd be better with a minimum of XDCAM EX or DVCproHD.

I've used HDV a lot because I have had no choice, but when I'm consulted beforehand HDV is absolutely the last choice with all the provisos that have been detailed in the other thread.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 21, 2007 12:50PM
Yep...I'm with Ben. At the broadcast facility where I work, when I am asked my opinion of a shoot format, DVCProHD / HDCAM always are top of the list and I ask for the digital files - not downconverted / transferred tapes. HDV is sometimes suggested for handheld b-roll / cutaway stuff as a "disposable" camera in situations where an expensive camera may get crushed.

Outside this facility, HDV is great because as soon as it leaves my camera it is transcoded into something other that Long GOP and I love it...especially for SD comps...super clean.

This poll is not all seeing - all knowing - all judging because the question selection is not complete. There should be another "Yes - with a few reservations" choice that notes "...as long as it's shot well and transcoded out of Long GOP"...which would be my choice smiling smiley

December 21, 2007 01:10PM
quote: 'So. HDV. What's your take?"

The fact that we're taking a poll on this format speaks volumes as to the lameness of HDV.

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
December 21, 2007 06:03PM
I just revoked my quote as I had to work with it again, no real fun if you work in collaborate environment.
And maybe I misunderstood the question - I still think it maybe a cool recording format within it's limits (and sometimes for the price) but it's not good to work with.

Cheers and Merry Xmas sometime next week.
Andreas
December 21, 2007 06:19PM
Yeah - it's hard to write answers that will account for how everybody feels, without getting into a fifty point system or something silly. I just tried to give good, pretty good, nuetral, pretty bad and bad as options.

Also - although I'm interested in the answer, I'm not really shopping for a camera right now. I just thought that HDV had been around long enough now to warrant some real in-the-field opinions about it. But Victor - that's an enlightening point. How come I didn't even think to ask about DVCProHD? I never would have thought to ask what people's take on Digibeta was...

Results are looking interesting.

BTW - how long do people thing Polls should run?

December 21, 2007 07:09PM
Jude
BTW - how long do people thing Polls should run?
Eight years - then project I'm working on with HDV is finished smiling smiley

Andreas
December 21, 2007 07:10PM
sorry double posting

Andreas
December 21, 2007 07:59PM
Yeah. 8 years. Figure Jude will be running this place by then.

eye popping smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 21, 2007 08:29PM
*Strokes white cat* *snickers softly*

Wait, eight years ... how long does a format usually last, anyway? About four and a half weeks these days, isn't it?

December 21, 2007 08:56PM
9 1/2 Weeks.

As long as Mickey Rourke in boxing.

www.derekmok.com
December 21, 2007 08:59PM
quote: "Also - although I'm interested in the answer, I'm not really shopping for a camera right now. I just thought that HDV had been around long enough now to warrant some real in-the-field opinions about it. But Victor - that's an enlightening point. How come I didn't even think to ask about DVCProHD? I never would have thought to ask what people's take on Digibeta was..."

Hi, Jude smiling smiley

HDV is popular but as a shooter and editor I do not consider it a professional format.

If someone were getting into the cinematography field I would suggest a RED camera and work down from there.

Happy holidays! smiling smiley

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
December 21, 2007 09:54PM
There's your topic for the next poll:

How long should a poll run:

...1 day

...1 week

...1 month

...until your HDV project finishes rendering

December 21, 2007 10:15PM
So, things a little slow here?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly clear BOTH In-Out Marks with Option- X !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack-
the ideal affordable gift for shortcut-hungry colleagues.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 22, 2007 12:16AM
ive said it before. ill say it again. HDV is the 8-track of video
December 22, 2007 12:29AM
Yeah RED would be great, Vic. But I'm not actually any good with a camera - I panic, zoom in and out all the time, can't focus and don't hold my shots. Also, my eyes are pretty bad. I am the exact kind of camo I yell at. Which is why I don't do it for a living. smiling smiley

It's funny that even knowing all the rules doesn't make me able to shoot at all well. Kind of like knowing where to cut technically doesn't give you the ability to feel the 'beat' of a scene and figure out when to cut emotionally.

December 22, 2007 12:57AM
Hey, Wayne smiling smiley

quote: "ive said it before. ill say it again. HDV is the 8-track of video"

...with a dirty head tongue sticking out smiley

EDIT: all kidding aside, hdv isn't too bad for the web or if you use an hdv camera via the hdmi straight into fcp and capture live.

amor y paz,
victor smiling smiley
[www.victorfoto.com]
December 22, 2007 12:06PM
Amen, Victor...there are positives to HDV (as the poll reveals). Very few people have no use for it (4 exactly).

December 22, 2007 12:33PM
Amen part 2 grafixjoe , every formats and codecs have plus and minus : use a too low quality format or codec for a specific use = deception , use a too high level format or codec for a specific use (overkill format) = deception (budget wise and workflow requirement).
A format and codec is like for nle only a tool .... But i am allway puzzle on why peoples get a hard time to accept an entry level format or codec or nle.
Do you remember when the minimum was Betacam-SP but the DV appear , then it was Avid and FCP appear , then DVCPRO HD , HDCAM ... and HDV appear.
It look like the reaction is more about perception than technology and is targeted use.smileys with beer

PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE
TOURNAGE / MONTAGE VIDÉO CORPORATIF
DISTRIBUTION DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB
[www.productiondgoyette.com]
December 23, 2007 01:06AM
ONE person liked it without ANY reservations? Hee, funny.

I too have a different answer now that the questions changed. See how easily a poll can be manipulated by simply changing the question and possible answers?

NOT THAT GREAT...would prefer something else if available. And if I did use it, I'd get out of HDV ASAP. So far, I haven't had to deal with it professionally, so...fingers crossed that I never do.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 23, 2007 09:25AM
> See how easily a poll can be manipulated by simply changing the question and possible answers?

Yes, I also changed my answer. The old STILL NOT SURE didn't fit my opinion as well as NOT THAT GREAT, WOULD CHOOSE SOMETHING ELSE. I think the specific postings about why we like/dislike the format are probably more illuminating than the "pollster" numbers.

"They asked whether people cared about flag-burning. They didn't ask how much."
- Joey Lucas (Marlee Matlin), pollster, The West Wing

www.derekmok.com
December 23, 2007 01:46PM
It needs one more category, which be where my vote would be placed:

"If you understand its limitations, and don't expect more than the format can provide, when you consider the cost, it's absolutely fantastic."

And probably another category, where a surprsing number of video professionals seem to be:
"All HD sucks - I'm sticking with SD"

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
December 23, 2007 06:36PM
OK. I'm starting a new fifty point poll with the following possible responses

1. It's God's gift to video
2. It's a life saver, but I wouldn't go so far as to say God's gift.
3. It's never saved my life, but it's still pretty bloody fantastic.
4. It's fantasic, but not *bloody* fantastic.
5. I think it's really good as it gives you access to HD but is cheap.
6. I think it's really good because it gives you access to HD but I don't think it's that cheap.

and so on.

Would it have been better if I just used

1. Great
2. Good
3. Unsure
5. Not great
6. Bad

?

I actually think it's interesting to see where people have been forced to vote. It's so evenly divided!

December 23, 2007 07:52PM
HDV or digital beta? I think we'd go on forever on this.

If the footage is going to be viewed on SD tv, i'd prefer going SD- digibeta, if possible. If it was going onto a HDtv, and the budget allows for only HDV... now, will you choose HDV? I guess it now depends on the type of show- if it's a normal talk show, yes, if it's a sporting event, they'd be out of their minds if they're insistent on HDV. DVCproHD over HDV? DVCproHD, definitely. I'm not keen on GOP compression at all.

Frankly, I wish they hadn't opted for GOP as a mode of compression. Lower quality visuals, but don't replace it with blockiness!
December 24, 2007 02:02AM
Of course 70mm is preferable to 35mm, but shouldn't every production be shot in IMAX.

Dave
December 25, 2007 04:45PM
Is there an audio sync/drift problem with HDV? What are the possible causes? I've been hearing a consistent sync problem (which sounds like a sync drift) on HDV. And would this then be caused by a broken GOP?
December 28, 2007 06:20PM
41 votes and the line keeps tipping one way then the other.

Do you think it would be fair to call it a draw, with slightly increased leanings towards people really hating it rather than really loving it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics