copy/paste problem

Posted by davko 
copy/paste problem
December 21, 2007 05:19PM
I suddenly find myself unable to duplicate a mono clip from A2 into A1 using the Cmd-C, Cmd-V functions. I set the playhead at the head of the clip, but when I try to paste, all it does is overwrite itself in A2 (while A1 remains empty).
Re: copy/paste problem
December 21, 2007 05:26PM
What version of FCP is this? Check your autoselect buttons.
December 21, 2007 05:31PM
The Paste function at first goes to the original track whence the copied/cut clip had come. To change that, you need to mess with the Auto-Select buttons -- the black dots to the right of the track names. OPTION-(number pad 0-9) would toggle the audio ones. Hit them so that the desired target track is the first one with the dot on it -- for example, A1 trumps A2, A2 trumps A3, etc.

Two even faster ways to do what you're describing:

1. With the default Arrow tool, hold down OPTION before you click on the clip you want to duplicate. With OPTION still held down, pull it down a track and now also hold SHIFT to do an Overwrite instead of an insert. That duplicates the clip without moving the original.
2. Double-click the clip into the Viewer. Now drag it from the Viewer back onto a track beneath. Since it's audio, you'll have to drag it while holding onto the "Hand" icon (right side of a Viewer with an audio clip in it).

www.derekmok.com
December 21, 2007 05:32PM
Tom, I'm fairly certain the paste targeting behaviour hasn't changed since at least FCP4. I've used FCP6 at work and the pasting is the same as my FCP5 at home. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

www.derekmok.com
December 21, 2007 05:55PM
It was introduced in v4. It's changed in every version until about 5.1, which is where I think the copy back to same track as default was introduced.
December 21, 2007 05:56PM
Many thanks. I completely blanked out on the Auto-select buttons, and yes, eventually landed upon the viewer work-around you suggested. Nice to have so many choices.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics