choppy video in viewer.

Posted by healdsburger 
choppy video in viewer.
December 29, 2007 08:06PM
Hello,

I am working on a project that someone previously was working on In iMovie. To get it into FCP I exported the project from iMovie at full quality, I then opened the project in FCP, loaded the sequence into the timeline and rendered it. When the sequence plays in the canvas everything works swimmingly, but when I try to view individual clips in the viewer it's very choppy. Does anyone know how I might go about solving this?

Thank You,

Ramsay
Re: choppy video in viewer.
December 29, 2007 08:14PM
The first and simplest explanation I can think of is that your Viewer display is set to larger than fit to window. Select the Viewer, press SHIFT-Z and play the clip again, see if it improves.

www.derekmok.com
December 29, 2007 09:04PM
Thanks Derek. It is set to "fit to window," but it's still playing back weirdly. It will play smoothly for about a second or two and then stick on one frame for a second or two and then play smoothly for a second or two and repeat ad nauseum. Is there anything else I could try?
December 29, 2007 09:30PM
You say you're using a movie-file export from iMovie. What format is the file? What codec? Where is it located (drive location)?

www.derekmok.com
December 29, 2007 10:44PM
Hi Derek,

The file is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. I have the file on an external firewire drive.
December 29, 2007 11:07PM
If I take one of the clips and throw it into the timeline and then render it, it plays fine in the canvas. Is this a render issue? How can you render clips before working with them in the timeline?
December 30, 2007 12:18AM
If you've exprted out of iMovie then it's likely to be dv stream codec, yes? Not straight DV. I don't use iMovie but I know there are incompatibilities, so what your seeing is possible the computer struggling to play non-native video in the viewer.

I'm just guessing here though, no fact - hopefully someone else with know more, or it will give you a jumping off point for your own research.

You could throw the entire media in the timeline, render it, export it as a quicktime movie (not a qt conversion) and then reiport to work with it natively.

December 30, 2007 01:26AM
Thanks Jude,

That seemed to work. Great suggestion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics