multiple firewire outputs

Posted by nick vincent 
multiple firewire outputs
December 30, 2007 06:52PM
Is where a way to record DV onto 3 standalone DVD recorders (pioneer DVR 310) via firewire from recently added PCI card to my G5. From External Video FCP as source?
Thanks, Nick
Re: multiple firewire outputs
December 30, 2007 07:10PM
...maybe just me...not understanding what you are asking here.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 30, 2007 08:06PM
He means whether you can have multiple FireWire devices all receive an outgoing video signal from FCP simultaneously. I believe the answer is no.

www.derekmok.com
December 30, 2007 11:11PM
Derek believes right...the answer is no.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 31, 2007 12:44AM
What is a, let's say Belkin 6 port 6 pin firewire used for if, you can't split up a signal? Not enough strength?
December 31, 2007 12:59AM
You'd need some kind of FW distribution amp?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly clear BOTH In-Out Marks with Option- X !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack-
the ideal affordable gift for shortcut-hungry colleagues.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 31, 2007 01:11AM
FireWire hubs are used for multiple FireWire storage devices, not video. Even then, hubs have never worked well for video editing. And I'd especially steer clear of Belkins -- personally I've never owned a Belkin product (cable, USB/FireWire hub, even iPod accessory) I've liked. I even had a Belkin FireWire cable conk out after merely two weeks. Crappy consumer brand, it seems to me.

www.derekmok.com
December 31, 2007 04:10AM
I think it could/should work. At least it did work in former times - though you won't have FW machine control.
We used it to send layout movies around in our in house FW network to multiple machines when Ethernet was slower than today.

Andreas
December 31, 2007 08:08AM
Correct me if im wrong but the only way to do it would be to daisy chain the DVD recorders (assuming they all have FW IO which i doubt)
December 31, 2007 08:29AM
I think it won't be possible to daisy chain the recorders as most of them only have 1 FW IO connector (if they have FW at all).
But as said I would give the FW Hub/Repeater a try - there aren't that expensive. And I know that it did work in former times.

Andreas
December 31, 2007 08:04PM
It has to be to a hub if at all, or like Loren says, some sort of DA, because how are you going to get FCP to send information out of multiple simulteneous firewire ports?

Actually, possibly you could go to a firewire in - multiple RCA connections out - to multiple DVD burners. Of course there would be a slight drop in quality, but this would depend on your original source and your destination requirements. In many instances you may not even notice the change.

January 22, 2008 04:38PM
Not firewire but the IOHD can feed 3 simultaneous signals live - Component, S video and HDMI.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics