OT- G5- old but CHEAP- should I buy it?

Posted by jamesnw 
OT- G5- old but CHEAP- should I buy it?
January 10, 2008 11:06AM
This will kind of hurt, as I've been psyched to buy a new MacBook Pro (waiting to see what happens this weekend) to start doing some more freelance. Anyways, my school just got new Mac Minis, meaning they are getting rid of their old computers. Here are the stats:

-Dual 1.8GHz processor PowerPC G5s
-1GB of ram, and i could bump that up to 2G for an additional $25.
-Hard drive is 160GB,
-OS X Tiger (10.4.10) that will start up to the Setup Assistant.
-SuperDrives

All for $575. That's an easy $1500+ less than I was planning on spending.

Here are the downsides I can think of:
-1.8Ghz sounds REALLY puny compared to the current ones
-It's a desktop, and i'd kind of like a laptop
-Old OS

So what are your thoughts- is this a deal worth taking? Is this computer updatable if I were to want to upgrade to a new processor? Could I run bootcamp on this, or is it too old?
Thanks!

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
Re: OT- G5- old but CHEAP- should I buy it?
January 10, 2008 12:21PM
Most of our machines are in this class. Dual 2GHz processors. 2G memory. Tiger.

It almost certainly has the Motorola PowerPC chips in it, which means you don't upgrade anything and you can't run Windows. They're dead end machines, but all our work goes through them.

You can check out the burner by finding 4G of any kind of files and burn three data DVDs. If it makes it through that, then the burner is OK.

There is a memory checker that I can't find right this second. If the machine makes it through that multiple times, then most of the machine is probably healthy.

What do you mean it boots to the setup assistant? Do you not get the startup CDs with it? Doesn't it have a working operating system? That's kind of a big deal. A fresh Tiger will cost you $125 right there--if you can still get it. Or get the school to burn you a disk image of an existing one and restore yourself a new one. That disk was part of the original machine product.

I'll look for that memory program.

Koz
January 10, 2008 01:48PM
at the bottom left of the Apple sales page they sell Refurbished Macs -
I bought one and it was brand new - not a spec of dust or finger prints-
and come with OS -

On the school machines keep in mind that Hard drives usually
die in 3 to 5 years of use -

Also Ebay usually has some Macs --Jay --
January 10, 2008 02:16PM
You won't be able to run BootCamp/Windows at all, that requires an Intel machine. Tiger still works fine (not on Leopard yet myself).

I assume you're going to be freelancing as a Final Cut editor? If so be aware that the G5 may be able to run PARTS of FCS2 but you could have issues with certain apps; Motion might need a beefier graphics card to work and that machine is using an older PCI architecture (all new cards are PCIe) so you'll have to hunt for older cards. And Color says it requires a 2.5ghz Quad G5 to run, so you may be SOL there. The machine would run FCP 5 but why hobble yourself with an older version? Especially if potential clients are running v6.

You'll definitely need more RAM. And a monitor. And if you do upgrade to Leopard you'll be left out of any bells-and-whistles that require an Intel chips to run. Unless you really need a tower right now, I'd put your cash into a new machine...

JK

January 10, 2008 02:22PM
Thanks for all the opinions.
I think I will wait until Monday to see what happens, then probably go for a nice new MacBookPro. Mmm... Maybe even splurge on the 17" so I can run Color.

Thanks!

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
January 10, 2008 04:23PM
You are going to be disappointed if you try to run Color on a laptop. Just want you to have all the facts before you separate you and your money.

- Jackson
January 10, 2008 05:17PM
> And if you do upgrade to Leopard you'll be left
> out of any bells-and-whistles that require an
> Intel chips to run.

Leopard runs fine on a dual 2ghz g5
January 10, 2008 05:25PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > And if you do upgrade to Leopard you'll be left
> > out of any bells-and-whistles that require an
> > Intel chips to run.
>
> Leopard runs fine on a dual 2ghz g5

Right, but things like Boot Camp and certain iChat functions require an Intel processor. There may be other functions in future updates that require it too. If you can live without those then no problem.
January 10, 2008 06:12PM
I'm writing this from a Dual G5 running leopard and I have yet to run into any trouble.

Knock on wood!

- Jackson
January 10, 2008 08:48PM
so am i, but i'm not running windows on my mac, nor ichat. adium is fine with me.
January 11, 2008 12:42PM
i say that much mac for that price is a pretty god deal. im running fcp on an old 1.0 ghz powerbook that is less than HALF of the spec you mention and it runs just fine.

i say if money is ANY kind of concern for you. get the cheap machine. do some projects and buy the new hotrod machine when you have the financial room and production NEED to have it.

even when you out grow this machine and buy a new one, its always nice to have an extra machine sitting around for overflow or a freelancer station.
January 12, 2008 10:22AM
That's a great deal. If you're doing mostly editorial work, it'll work just fine! The only issue that I can see is if you're pushing uncompressed HD around. But there's even a Kona3 for PCI-X slots.

Are you REALLY going to use Color in a real world situation? Are you REALLY going to use Motion in a real world client situation? If your work will be 90% FCP and SD and DVDSP, then it's a fine machine. Not the fastest on the block, so budget in an extra day for compressing and rendering.

You can find older video cards at macsales.com if you want to upgrade. HDs and RAM are super cheap these days. You can max out the RAM for best performance.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
January 15, 2008 05:26AM
Thats pretty much the exackt machine I have been using for a few years now.
To be honest, the difference between that machine and the new ones at work is not that great.
Its not like comparing a G5 to a G4 - not even close.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics