16:9 to 4:3 External Viewing Problems

Posted by anthem 
16:9 to 4:3 External Viewing Problems
January 29, 2008 09:50AM
I have some 16:9 footage I need to use in a 4:3 project. I resized the clips in Compressor and imported them into FCP. After rendering, the clips look fine in the viewer, but will not play on my external monitor. When I stop the playhead, the current frame will show up on the monitor, but when I try to play through the timeline, the screen doesn't change until I stop the playhead again; then it changes to the frame that I stopped on.

Am I missing something? I've tried refreshing AV Devices, but that did nothing. I don't like the thought of trying to finish this without being able to view the output on an external monitor. Thanks...
Re: 16:9 to 4:3 External Viewing Problems
January 29, 2008 10:13AM
what codec are the 16:9 clips? what are your sequence settings? are you playing out via firewire?
January 29, 2008 10:19AM
Thanks for the reply...

Both the original 16:9 and the 4:3 clips are DV-NTSC, as is the sequence.
January 30, 2008 02:49PM
What version of final cut are you running? Do you have the canvas window on 'fit to window'? Do all the clips display properly on the monitor with the exception of the resized clips? Is your monitor connected to a capture card? Is that set up to play ntsc dv (or ntsc 8/10bit) What is your sequence frame rate (or "editing time base"winking smiley?

If all that is set up, and it still doesn't play, restart your mac
January 31, 2008 12:39PM
All of the above is right, and I restarted, but still nothing. This is seriously bugging me.

Any more ideas?
January 31, 2008 01:12PM
Checklist.

1) you have adequate space in both media and mac internal drive (at least 10%).

2) All your footage is rendered (either a light green bar or blue bar)

3) Your media drive is on at least a firewire connection and you have nothing else daisy chained/connected to your firewire port. Are all media footage stored on the same drive?

4) Only the resized footage doesn't display properly.

5) You are on final cut 6 and qt 7.3 with leopard or tiger and below or final cut 5.1.4 and 7.2 and below with tiger or earlier, and running a PPC G5 or an intel power mac.

6) all footage is in ntsc DF, with the sequence set to NTSC DF, and footage does not require an form of render when inserted into the timeline.

Next, if you resized the footage in compressor, I assume you've zoomed in on the footage, since final cut conforms 16:9FHA to 4:3 on the fly, you shouldn't be needing a render.
February 04, 2008 08:29AM
I work on an IntelMac, 3G of Ram, FCPStudio2, Tiger 10???

I've had this same problem with clips that were not properly encoded (I'm still puzzling over a couple of incidences??) and with trying to play h264 clips off my timeline. I usually use Compressor and re-encode them to ProRes422 or (HQ.) I work with IMX and DVCPro50 (anamorphic) mostly and ProRes seems to "play well" with my other clips. I've also re-encoded to uncompressed 10 & 8-bit.

Why are you "re-sizing" in Compressor?? It's much easier to re-size in FCP. Admittedly I'm heading to the web, so going smaller not larger screen.

Andre
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics