Original footage
Sony HDV 1080i 29.97 footage
sent to color
Rendered out as
1920X1080
Apple ProRes 422
Pixel Aspect Square
Field Dominance upper (Odd)
i no longer see any interlacing as far as i can find which is strange but im cool with it.
So my question is

How can I turn this into a 24P look and feel
thats the directors wishes.

I have Magic Bullet, Nattress Film Effects
FCP Studio 2

Thanks
Re: 1080i into 24p whats the best method?
February 01, 2008 05:16PM
Hi Ricky,

I haven't gotten Nattress Film Effects yet, but I've heard it does a good job of providing that "Film look."

If you're looking for the "best method", many people who should know have said that the best thing to do is through a top-quality HD to film transfer, and then have it telecined back to HD. I have had excellent results by exporting to motion JPEG-A, then doing the conversion with Sony Vegas-8 - (which needs to be run in a Microsoft Windows environment, either on a Windows-PC or Mac/Windows environment.) Many have been surprised by how good Vegas is at creating the "Film Experience" because, apparently, this was not the intention of the program's developers - some sort of lucky accident. I hope to get Nattresss Film effects soon, so I can do a comparison and simplify things for myself, if it does a good job.

The first segment of my Documentary Narration demo ( www.DocumentaryNarration.com ) was done this way - started as HD 60i stock footage, edited in FCP, then transferred to a PC to provide the "film look" with Vegas, then to Adobe Flash.

The way we perceive the "Film Look", or, as I think it is more appropriately termed "Film Experience" has never been fully explained well enough to my satisfaction. 24 FPS provides some sort of magic that is completely missing from 60/30 FPS. It seems we prefer the juttery, flickering image to something closer to reality. Studies have shown that people remember and recall 24fps images better than 60fps. The best explanation I've heard so far, is that we have some sort of comprehension that we are actually seeing a series of still images, and comparing one to the next, rather than watching the fluid motion of reality - and that somehow our brains find that more satisfying.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
Re: 1080i into 24p whats the best method?
February 03, 2008 02:08AM
Thanks Travis,

Very interesting info on the studies.

Thats by far more helpful and i will that that with me to all my projects.

Much appreciated.

and i do have Nattress film effects I love them a lot
i thought it would have been a different process but sure enough Nattress it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics