Figuring out best HD workflow option

Posted by entelechy 
Figuring out best HD workflow option
February 06, 2008 03:46PM
Hi All,

Apologies for any redundancy, but I'm trying to keep all this "stored knowledge" regarding HD and the myriad formats, cameras, workflows, etc. straight in my head and my synapses ache. I have an upcoming project shooting on the Sony F-900. My DP recommends shooting 1080p at 24p (which I take to mean 23.98).

I just got a CalDigit HDPro tower and the project will initially be output on SD DVD, but we want to future-proof by shooting HD to retain image quality and for possible web versions/clips and a future HD version on DVD.

I'm not as concerned with a 24 frame "film look" for this project as I am creating a friendly FCP workflow, but would like to stay progressive as opposed to interlaced. I'll be logging & capturing at a post house and am assuming ProRes 422 would be the best choice.

If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
~Chris
Re: Figuring out best HD workflow option
February 06, 2008 05:09PM
Hire a good consultant to talk you through every phase of this. There are several people you can talk to. Myself, Larry Jordan (who I initially went to), a guy I know by the name of TJ Ryan who used to work at the DR Group (he WAS the post solution guy there).

And yes, by "hire" I mean "pay money to." Tidbits of info you pick up here on the forums might not be enough.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 06, 2008 05:21PM
Yes, I've been relying on the kindness of others and it would more than pay for itself saving frustration down-the-line. What would you charge for this Shane?

Thanks,
~Chris
February 06, 2008 05:27PM
First, by all means, get as much info from others as you can. Get some questions answered, or get more of an understanding of things so that you can ask the right questions, and save time.

I'll send you a private message.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 06, 2008 05:33PM
Thanks Shane. For me, that's part of the issue is keeping up with all these sources of information (podcasts, newsletters, subscriptions, forums) and keeping all the information and opinions straight (not to mention having learned numerous apps and trying to keep up with the latest with those). I love it, but I'm definitely overloaded (esp. now that I'm into Cinema 4D).

We can talk further on the side - thanks smiling smiley
February 07, 2008 10:12AM
I went through the same thing as you. I knew a huge job with different HD format was coming so I had to fetch info.
I found out that most post houses you call are willing to help you and talk with you at no charge. THey love to talk 'tech' and HD is definetely a field where nobody's a full experct yet and everybody's experience is always good to hear, even for these guys.
So call a few places like the DR Group, KMP (Keep Me Posted), and others (check the LA 411).
February 07, 2008 10:45AM
Good advice, thanks smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics