APPLE DITCHES NAB 2008

Posted by Loren Miller 
APPLE DITCHES NAB 2008
February 07, 2008 10:35PM
Great. They've joined Avid as no-shows. So... why go? To drool over cameras?

Mike, will they have any involvement at the SuperMeet?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly find Next/Previous timeline Gaps with Shift/Option -G !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: APPLE DITCHES NAB 2008
February 07, 2008 11:08PM
i thought apple was about to release FCP-EXTREME or whatever?
oh hell, i knew it. they are transitioning into a phone/media device company and are gonna sell FCP to corel.

(im totally making this up BTW)
February 08, 2008 12:14AM
Corell?? Hadn't thought of them. I thought of Filemaker.

Long ago I predicted Apple would spin off the ProApps into a wholly-owned subsidiary: Moviemaker, Inc.

It's what I would do when I lost interest in micromanaging a product line. lol

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
February 08, 2008 12:22AM
I just noticed another thread on this subject lower in the info-river-- sorry about that, Mike. I did scan the list first, didn't see it.

Glad to hear the company will participate in the Meet, at least.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
February 08, 2008 12:30AM
maybe they're a little embarrassed that final cut server isn't out yet, since they announced it at last year's NAB and said it would be out in summer 2007.
February 08, 2008 01:38AM
Loren Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Corell?? Hadn't thought of them. I thought of
> Filemaker.
>
> Long ago I predicted Apple would spin off the
> ProApps into a wholly-owned subsidiary:
> Moviemaker, Inc.
>
> It's what I would do when I lost interest in
> micromanaging a product line. lol
>
> - Loren

Actually the smart money would be on Adobe purchasing Apples ProApps. It would also not be out of the realm of possibility for Avid to purchase it.

Its very unlikely that Apple would "spin-off" this division, that would not increase Apples shareholder value.

Now it will be interesting to hear how all of the people who were preaching the doom of Avid for not attending NAB will now spin the fact that Apple isn't attending.
February 08, 2008 03:08AM
Mike, will they have any involvement at the SuperMeet?

Of course. Apple will play a big role in the SuperMeet. Can't be a SuperMeet without Apple.

Its looking like it might be the only place you will get face to face time with these folks. Which makes the SuperMeet a must place to be.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 08, 2008 12:08PM
[Actually the smart money would be on Adobe purchasing Apples ProApps. It would also not be out of the realm of possibility for Avid to purchase it. ]

I've always said Xerox should pruchase Apple. lol

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
February 08, 2008 03:50PM
Any odds on whether we'll see FCS 3 this year, or will it be a .1 update like NAB06? If they had something as big as FCS 3 to announce I would think they'd have a booth. Or is the whole point now that it's better to just announce the new updates online and hold smaller events in various cities for the hands-on?

JK

February 08, 2008 03:58PM
Fact is that appearing at NAB is terribly expensive. You can do a lot of up-close and personal events for that kind of money.

Graeme
February 08, 2008 04:02PM
No historically Apple announces big upgrades every 2 years. Last year was FCS 2.
This year Apple will announce Graeme Natress welcoming a new baby into his family

Congrats Graeme and Wendy.

Picts please

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 08, 2008 04:58PM
This is an interesting evaluation.

Apple, Avid, and NAB - Frank Capria

Chuck Spaulding Wrote:
> Loren Miller Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Corell?? Hadn't thought of them. I thought of
> > Filemaker.
> >
> > Long ago I predicted Apple would spin off the
> > ProApps into a wholly-owned subsidiary:
> > Moviemaker, Inc.
> >
> > It's what I would do when I lost interest in
> > micromanaging a product line. lol
> >
> > - Loren
>
> Actually the smart money would be on Adobe
> purchasing Apples ProApps. It would also not be
> out of the realm of possibility for Avid to
> purchase it.
>
> Its very unlikely that Apple would "spin-off" this
> division, that would not increase Apples
> shareholder value.
>
> Now it will be interesting to hear how all of the
> people who were preaching the doom of Avid for not
> attending NAB will now spin the fact that Apple
> isn't attending.
February 08, 2008 06:18PM

No historically Apple announces big upgrades every 2 years. Last year was FCS 2.
This year Apple will announce Graeme Natress welcoming a new baby into his family

Congratulations you guys!

G have a word with Jim Jannard and get Oakley/Red to buy out FCS and make FCExtreme 4K/2K with all the additions and suggestions we've made on the forums!

grinning smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 08, 2008 06:25PM
We have enough on our plates with our own products.....

A few years ago Megan was the youngest FCP user in the audience. This year new baby Colette will stay at home with Mum - after all, if there's no Apple booth, she may as well stay at home :-)

Seriously, NAB is expensive, not just to attend as an exhibitor, but as an attendee too. I think Apple can and will get better value for money in other ways.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
February 08, 2008 10:07PM
The Beginning of the END. =(

Avid was IT once. FCP after 10 years seems to have over taken that market and made it special for me.
But now, its too expensive for Apple to attend the largest convention of the entire year for television and film I think.

What's the future hold?
First Apple goes Intel now this? @#$^$%^#$%^$

Somethings not right.
To reduce there booth by a tremendous amount I could understand.
Save 40-50-60% on costs I would be able to live with.
War, gas, forclousers, cost of everything going up.
Ya its expensive.
But to be GONE from NAB?

That cant be good.
February 09, 2008 09:37PM
I wouldn't worry so much about not attending NAB. Maybe Avid's bailout enabled Apple to bail on it as well.

I would be more worried about the rumors the pro apps might be sold. Very concerned if development has stopped on the sequel to Shake and the fact that Shake is problematic under Leopard. That's a professional app that they seriously dropped the ball on.

FC under the management anyone other than Apple would mean a very different future for the FCP community. What if a company like Phillips bought it. They might develop their own hardware for it and freeze out AJA and Blackmagic. Certainly raise the price. Just speculation. This year's run up to NAB will be very interesting.
February 10, 2008 04:48AM
This may be simpler than it looks:

(1) Apple, last year, had an extremely impressive NAB presence -- and their presentation was based solely on exciting new products. This year, there aren't any new products, at least nothing that everyone hasn't already seen. There's just no way Apple can top last year's appearance. Making a reduced, or scaled down presentation is not in-keeping with Apple's marketing history.

(2) This may say more about NAB than Apple.

(3) Their primary competitor isn't going to be there.

(4) Apple IS going to be there, in hundreds of other exhibits. And we'll all see plenty of people carrying and using iPhones. Putting time, energy and money around the convention may be worth much more than a central exhibit.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
February 10, 2008 08:25AM
Apple sells hardware. FCS sells hardware. Apple wouldn't sell the ProApps unless they planed on dumping MacPros. I think anyone who thinks Apple might sell FCS doesn't understand the first thing about Apple's business model.

Apple made a serious of acquisitions to make FCP, FCP, DVDStudio Pro, LiveType, CinemaTools, Color, add Shake and Logic although not part of FCS. I think SoundTrack and Motion are the only Apple originals.

Apple started or accelerated this when Avid announced they were dropping support of Apple. That's because the NLE market was about the biggest reason people were buying the expensive desktops. Throw in the fact that Premiere was a crash inducer on Mac and Radius EditDV/Discreet CineStream was killed instead of developed in the "prosumer" market.

Apple wants to sell boxes and that's what FCS does. Apple is not going to risk another company controlling the primary NLE on the Mac. WAY too much hardware sales at stake.

Also if there's one think Apple is great at, it's marketing. Apple not having a both at NAB may really portend a new marketing direction if anything.
February 10, 2008 06:57PM
Apple wants to sell boxes and that's what FCS does.
You know what sells box'?
iPhoto! and a virus free (pretty much) OS.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
February 12, 2008 06:27PM
craig seeman Wrote:
Apple sells hardware. FCS sells hardware. Apple wouldn't sell the ProApps unless they planed on dumping MacPros. I think anyone who thinks Apple might sell FCS doesn't understand the first thing about Apple's business model.

This isn't so much about understanding "Apples" business model as it is understanding business. Steve Jobs's fiduciary responsibility is to Apples share holders. Apple spends less money developing, and sells far more consumer type products than it does the pro apps. The more iPhones, iPods and Apple TV's sell the more pressure there is to spin off the pro apps. It becomes impossible for Mr. Jobs to justify spending the time, effort and money in an area of the business that has declining profitability. It is all about managing shareholder value.

craig seeman Wrote:

Apple made a serious (series) of acquisitions to make FCP, FCP, DVDStudio Pro, LiveType, CinemaTools, Color, add Shake and Logic although not part of FCS. I think SoundTrack and Motion are the only Apple originals.

They have already discontinued the development of Shake, the majority of bugs in FCS2 seem to stem from changes in QT to accommodate iTunes (a major component of the iPhone, iPod, and Apple TV), they chose the wrong HD(DVD) format and there was little to no development in DVD Studio Pro in the latest release. Including Color in FCS2 was probably the biggest overall improvement and the timing for that was because it took so long to reach a deal with Silicon Color.

craig seeman Wrote:

Apple started or accelerated this when Avid announced they were dropping support of Apple. That's because the NLE market was about the biggest reason people were buying the expensive desktops. Throw in the fact that Premiere was a crash inducer on Mac and Radius EditDV/Discreet CineStream was killed instead of developed in the "prosumer" market.

Even if another company purchases FCP, FCP users will still need to purchase Mac Pro's to run it on. So they will still sell as many computers as they do now. Besides Adobe is now back on the MAC and CS3 seems to be working quite well. Frankly if Apple continues to ignore the professional users maybe it woudl be better if they sold it, as long as its not to Thomson. I hope that if its sold, its Adobe that purchases it.

Come on Jim Gerrard write that check.
February 12, 2008 06:46PM
You're assuming declining profits on MacPro (and MacBookPro) hardware sales and there's no public evidence of that, ESPECIALLY since the growth on desktop sales (which does include iMacs) is INCREASING.

Apple BOUGHT Shake but rather than build on OLD code, it may make more sense to start from Motion's code and still and convert the bits of Shake worth saving. Shake gave them entry into a market (lists of users for example) they can market to with whatever NEW product Apple develops. Heck, that LIST, may be more valuable to marketing than developing Shake itself and may have been part of the reason for the purchase.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG about people needing to buy Macs if Apple self FCS. Whoever buys it can discontinue Mac support. BTW Apple did that with Windows support of the cross platform media apps they've bought. Avid attempted to do that for example and that's why Apple bought FC from Macromedia and made it APPLE ONLY.

Apple is about CONTROL. ALWAYS has been. FCS sells MORE than MacPros too. And then there's Final Cut Express. Given the Million FC users and growing (not sure if that includes FCE), a WHOLE LOT of iMac sales may be helped by that. Apple would put their entire Desktop line in jeopardy by selling FC.

One can talk about Share Holders but there's NO INFORMATION to IMPLY OR INFER that FCS costs more than it makes once you factor in its influence on hardware sales.

Yes, Apple, like any other business, is about PROFIT and I've seen NOTHING in their financials posted publicly that FCS and the EXPENSIVE HARDWARE DONGLE (er Desktops and laptops) needed to run it has anything but a POSITIVE IMPACT ON PROFIT.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics