Is it possible to Ripple to playhead from the keyboard?

Posted by marcus_sg 
February 08, 2008 09:36PM

The following I understand..

"Select the edit point you want to extend, then move the playhead later in the sequence where you want the extend to end... type e."

However, is it possible to do the same/similar thing by having the incoming cut ripple to the playhead by doing this from the keyboard?

Here's what I'm trying to achieve.

Tap V to select the nearest cut. Tap U to cycle to the incoming side.

Move my playhead later in the sequence

Now I want to be able to ripple the cut to my playhead and bring the rest of the sequence up., (I was hoping the 'e' tap would work here but it doesn't)

I'm fully aware that this works from the mouse by tapping RR and dragging the cut point to the playhead. The effect is exactly what I want but there *must* be a way to do that from the keyboard...

Am I missing something??
Re: Is it possible to Ripple to playhead from the keyboard?
February 09, 2008 12:34AM
I don't think you can do what you're asking as you have it written. The closest to what you're trying to achieve would be to use trim mode.

You see, ripple edits typically mean that you don't have enough of a particular clip in the timeline, but you don't want to overwrite anything else. Because of this, ripple edits are usually performed to a point on the source that you want to add.

What you're talking about is adding to a clip an arbitrary amount determined by the placement of the playhead in the timeline. This seems to me to be an inefficient way to add footage. If you want to add an arbitrary amount, select the end with the ripple tool and type in the number of frames you want to add. Otherwise, use trim mode and add it that way.
February 09, 2008 12:55AM
Can't you just select the cut point and move it forward with auto ripple using numbers? I don't think you would need the r tool.

So - hit v to select cut point (up and down arrows to move to another point if the wrong one is selected) then just type , say, +15 to move th cut 15 frames forwards. 1 and a period (.) will move forward one second and so on.

Or possibly I am missing something about what you want to do.

February 09, 2008 01:21AM
> What you're talking about is adding to a clip an arbitrary amount determined by the placement
> of the playhead in the timeline.

I don't think that's necessarily so...what he's describing can be useful for temporarily extending the clip so that you can see more of the outgoing clip, then selecting a new out point visually. In the situation he's describing, he probably doesn't know beforehand how many frames/seconds/minutes he wants to ripple by. I can think of some not too common situations I've encountered where I've had to do that.

But no, Extend Edit doesn't do that with rippling, and I can't think of any keyboard commands that can do what he's talking about, either. You're probably better off using the Select All Tracks Forward tool (TTTT) to move everything afterwards to the playhead point you want, then using Roll/Extend Edit to lengthen the previous clip to the playhead.

Usually I do either that, or I Match Frame the outgoing clip, SHIFT-O to find the out point, hit a new Out point as desired, then cut the clip back into the timeline. Ripple usually doesn't work for me because I usually have four, six, even 12 things in the audio tracks (and sometimes on upper video tracks) that would get messed up by ripple.

www.derekmok.com
February 09, 2008 01:37AM
derek said
what he's describing can be useful for temporarily extending the clip so that you can see more of the outgoing clip, then selecting a new out point visually

If that were the case, why not just use the ripple tool and drag extra handles on the clip and then cut away the excess? He sounded very specific about wanting to ripple to a point on the timeline. He even mentions that he can perform what he's asking about using the ripple tool and the mouse: "and dragging the cut point to the playhead". If he were just wanting extra handles on the outgoing clip, the playhead isn't even necessary. That's the part of his workflow that doesn't make sense to me.

Andy
February 09, 2008 02:57AM
Hi thanks for your input everyone,
Here's a vid of what i'm wanting to do but from the keyboard. Maybe it just doesn't exist as a shortcut.

Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't you just select the cut point and move it
> forward with auto ripple using numbers? I don't
> think you would need the r tool.

Actually, after re-reading Jude's post , I think that's the solution smileys with beer It even works while trimming on the fly from the timeline which is what I'm trying to 'perfect'

The best I could think of was maybe to use the blade tool. Select the chunk I dont want , then shift delete. I totally missed the numeric entry ripple!

Thanks everyone, that's why I love the FCP community!

Marcus.
February 09, 2008 06:53AM
Don't use the blade tool. Just press Control-V to add the edit and then click and ripple delete. There is no way to do what you want. The E key with ripple has long been requested, and I'm not sure why it's such a problem to implement. You might want to go to feedback and add your vote for this.
February 09, 2008 12:45PM
For fast trimming on the fly, try this...

Place the play head at the point that you want to trim from.

Hit X to select the clip you want to trim. This will place In/Out around entire clip.

Hit I or O to move the In or Out point depending on whether you are trimming from the front or end of a clip.

Hit Shift+X to ripple delete.

My problem was that I thought you were trying to use the ripple tool to ADD frames, not trim. I use this keyboard method all the time. It's extremely fast for trimming a sequence. In fact, I typically don't use the mouse at all when doing my initial trims to a sequence. I'll move forward and back in the timline with the JKL keys and trim like above.

I posted a quick little video showing you the technique.

Trim Tutorial

Andy
February 09, 2008 01:05PM
> My problem was that I thought you were trying to use the ripple tool to ADD frames, not trim.

Me too. In my own habits, I wouldn't even use the Ripple or Trim tools. For the head of a clip I'd just Blade or use the Arrow to make the new In point, then All Tracks Forward to close the gap. For the tail of a clip, I might even just use All Tracks Forward to select the rest of the timeline and just move it into position, overwriting the parts beyond the new Out point.

I suppose I don't use Ripple much because it's rare that I don't have overlapping audio. Locking the audio tracks is still not good enough, because that's only okay if there's nothing on that audio track down the timeline, nothing that has a sync relationship to either picture or sound.

www.derekmok.com
February 09, 2008 01:13PM
Derek, Derek, I'm shocked, shocked I say. You can use the ripple tool or the other trim tools with overlapping tracks. You just have the make the selection f the track elements correctly so that everything moves together. You can ripple spaces in the timeline.
February 09, 2008 01:39PM
Tom and others,

Basically what Marcus what is JKL Dynamic trimming in the timeline (not only in trim window) like the Avid. Select the proper tracks, decide on single or double rollers, then J or L to the right frame then hit K to make the trim. You can do it on the Avid and it's damn handy. Use it on the Avid everyday.

Why would you use this? Extend or trim stills, VOs, and practically all video clips dynamically in realtime while listening to your audio tracks.

I wish FCP would implement this. Once you use it you'll get why it's so handy.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
February 09, 2008 10:14PM
Chi, you nailed it friend, and I wish I'd made that clear in my initial post, sorry about that.

Jude's solution works thumbs down , though you have to 'think' in frames and seconds rather than just going with your instinct and 'place cut here'.

Andy, thanks for that. It's very handy indeed.

Tom + Derek, thanks for giving me alternate ways to look at it.

I submitted feedback like you said.

I'm an assistant trying to speed up and improve. I realise that a large portion of editing IS trimming, so if I can be fast at that (and the more ways I know how to do trimming), I'll be a more efficient editor.

Thanks,

Marcus
February 10, 2008 11:49PM
Okay, I'll bite. I use Jude's method for ripple-cutting:

[So - hit v to select cut point (up and down arrows to move to another point if the wrong one is selected) then just type , say, +15 to move th cut 15 frames forwards. 1 and a period (.) will move forward one second and so on. ]

She only left out U to choose trim sides, but in essence, that's how I ripple-- knowing i can't ripple using the playhead, only roll.

And I will load other tracks with side-select to contorl what else gets extended or trimmed in the process. if i don;t, FCP decides where to add gap, which is usually okay, but not always.

The enhancement I add is to enable looping and hit the Backslash key so I can audit the edit *live* and make additional trims via +/- keypad values on the fly. It's either this or tangle with the Big Trim Edit window, which for all its capability I personally find distracting and ungainly. I do most everything in the timeline, from the keys, except simple clip positioning or swapping.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly find Next/Previous timeline Gaps with Shift/Option -G !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 11, 2008 05:52PM
I noticed that my keyboard trim tutorial was glitching on playback, so for the benefit of anyone who wanted to see it, I reposted it.

Trim Tutorial

Andy
February 11, 2008 08:19PM
Hey Andy - that's been made a private video now and you can't watch it without being sent a friend request.

February 11, 2008 08:36PM
D'oh!! I made it private at first so I could make sure that it worked before posting it. Just forgot to make it public afterwards. Fixed now. Thanks Jude.

Andy
February 16, 2008 03:08PM
Wow! Quite a discussion! And cool! From the Youtube link, i realized that FCP is a soccer club too!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics