Media manager puzzle

Posted by jwilliam 
Media manager puzzle
February 09, 2008 11:10AM
I've just finished a trailer for a feature length documentary, and I want to media-manage my final cut for my archives, as well as to deliver to my client.

Now, the full length, 90 minute HD Prores file that I'm using as my master source is just over 110 gig.

The media manage of my 2 minute trailer has an estimated size of 100 gig. Huh? That does not compute.

I've tried playing with the settings, mostly using "copy" and "delete unused media" with 1:00 handles, and it still estimates a 100 gig project. Now I'm still foggy on how FCP manages media in situations like this, and I'm used to using an AVID to consolidate the media over to a folder with a fraction of the size of the original project. Is FCP insisting on bringing along a copy of the FULL original pro-res file and not just the selected chunks that I'm using in my trailer?

I've tried exploring around with the "make independent clips" and "make master clips" but that hasn't been helpful.

What am I missing in this process? How do I get this 2:00 trailer media managed to a manageable length?

Thanks -

Jeff
Re: Media manager puzzle
February 09, 2008 11:41AM
How much recutting of the trailer are you going to do? If it's a substantial amount, then I'd suggest that you shouldn't media-manage this thing yet. And if you're just trying to keep the trailer on hand, then export a movie file of the trailer and back that up.

You've probably selected "Include master clip outside selection". If you had imported the full movie file into the Browser, then this option is instructing Media Manager to include that item for capture. Uncheck that option and see.

www.derekmok.com
February 09, 2008 11:50AM
Derek -

I'm locked with picture, and want to deliver the media managed project along with the final quicktime of the trailer. This is one part client request, and one part my own wants... If nothing else, I want to figure out why my original media files are 119 GB, and the modified media for a 2 minute trailer are 103 GB.

And the "include master clip outside selection" is unchecked. My media manager settings are:

"COPY" media referenced by duplicated items
Include render files is on

recompress media is greyed out

Include master clips outside selection is off

Delete unused media from duplicated items is on

Use handles - 1:00 is on

Include affiliate clips outside selection is off

Base media file names on "existing file names"

and duplicate selected items and place into a new project is off.

Any thoughts? Thanks -

Jeff
February 09, 2008 11:57AM
Nick Meyers, one of our Media Manager experts, wrote up some more suggestions in the FAQ:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
February 09, 2008 03:03PM

Include render files is on
This might be the reason.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
February 09, 2008 06:13PM
Thanks for the link to the FAQ - it was enlightening, but unfortunately didn't help. I tried assigning reel numbers to everything in the project. The primary source was a ProRes file, but even giving it a tape number didn't help... Interesting idea, and good to know.

Also, the render files didn't move the needle at all, there's less than 100MB of them. I just sucked it up and let it run for an hour.

Jeff
February 09, 2008 07:37PM
Well, the problem with what you're doing is that if you're going to make 110GB of media files into 100GB, then you might as well not media-manage at all.

This is one of those things where if we could look over your shoulder at your actual project and settings, we might be able to fix it. Limitations of long-distance troubleshooting.

www.derekmok.com
February 10, 2008 11:35PM
[and duplicate selected items and place into a new project is off. ]

Maybe that should be on? Maybe the media in THAT project will come to about half a gig for the 2-minute trailer?

Maybe wishful thinking.

But I'd be inclined to generate a new project for consolidated work, anyway. Those have worked for me in the past.

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
February 11, 2008 11:23AM
Derek -

That's exactly what happened. I spent another hour trying to alter reel names, selecting and de-selecting options, and considering all kinds of crazy plans (like exporting out each clip individually and then replacing it in the timeline), all to no avail.

Good thing drive space is cheap... and this is one to chalk up to the whims of FCP, I guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics