Accessing more / all info columns in browser
February 15, 2008 05:57PM
Hi,

we inherited a 35mm 3-perf show, and the original crew did not log / input using flex files.

Now we're trying to output to EDL, but of course, no sound roll or sound TC info (!!)

We're hoping to key in what we need by hand into the various info columns, but as of now, I see no columns for sound roll # & sound Time Code. I know they're available, I see their categories (w/ no values) in the logging info rows.

How do we call up all / selected columns in the browser?

Thanks (I did look elsewhere before posting this; and I will go back to the manual as well to double check for clues...)

any advice appreciated...

Jewel
Re: Accessing more / all info columns in browser
February 15, 2008 06:03PM
Right-click in the browser column header and select what you want. In the same menu you can save the column arrangement.
February 15, 2008 06:12PM
Thanks,

but two things, one, I just have a mac mouse;

and two, the columns I need don't exist in the browser (the browser doesn't offer them) . They only exists as rows, in the item properties menu drop down.

I'm trying to get the browser to offer me the same categories as the item properties does...

Thanks again so much for your advice !!
February 15, 2008 06:22PM
Get a three button mouse for like $10. Or hold the Control key.

That's why you access the the shortcut menu. They're in the shortcut menu.

This is all basic stuff for using the application. You would suggesting learning the application a bit before undertaking a film with it.
February 15, 2008 06:31PM
Thanks,

Sorry to seem ignorant or lazy, I've been cutting a ton of video-output shows (since 2003 on FCP), and was an Avid ass't on features since 1999 before that; just hadn't run into this particular snafu before... and hadn't found it yet in the manual.

thanks again
Re: Short menu does not offer Sound TC or SR - workaround
February 15, 2008 06:45PM
Forgot to mention,

The short menu does not offer to show the sound TC or sound roll columns... which are the exact columns / info we need to input to make our (inherited, deficient) EDL 's to work for the sound post...

What we're trying next is: we're going through individual shots in the dailies, double clicking on them, getting the FCP to show item properties, and then keying in the SR info from the burn-in (stroke of luck there!)

However, the item properties page refuses to let us key in a sound TC... it just auto-keys-in "00:00:00:00"

So that's our last input workaround problem...

open to suggestions...

(Also, I'm posting this in case someone else runs into this sort of show problem in the future, and does a search ...)
February 15, 2008 07:05PM
You can use some of Comment columns for this. Some can be rename for any header you want.

You can't change item properties for TC. Those are fixed by the media. You can modify the TC using Modify>Timecode, but this is a destructive function so I'm not sure you want to do that.

Really, 2003?
February 15, 2008 07:28PM
thanks for the info,
but no thanks for the mean-spirited sarcasm.

I guess you must have good reasons for that; maybe it makes you feel important or superior. Hope that works for you.

Or, is being sarcastic and mean-spirited to someone's question part of the service here?

I guess I could have you IMDB me, or tell you how long I've been IATSE or something, but I guess I'm just not in the mood.

Thanks anyway, have a great day.
February 15, 2008 07:49PM
My apologies for the sarcasm which is only because changing column headers and shortcut menus is like some of the most basic stuff like you learn in the first day of a training class. I would expect an experienced editor to know stuff like this.

You can set up columns to enter the information, but they're not going to translate to an EDL. Only information that's on the clips themselves in the timeline will make it to an EDL within the constraints of what can EDL can carry.

If you're not getting TC in item properties there may not be any on clips, nothing meaningful besides starting at zero. Be careful about modifying the TC for audio and video files that have been merged. FCP's media management is very shaky, and I would expect it to completely lose track of the right audio files to play back with the video.
February 15, 2008 08:33PM
Wow! I still have so much to learn to work with film (and i dont' think i'll be seeing film for the next year or so)... Why not output an omf though? And... uhms wasn't aux timecode made to deal with syncing sound to slate?

anyways, Jewel, you really gotta get yourself a cheap PC mouse. It really works wonders. The mighty mouse sucks.
February 15, 2008 08:34PM
Thanks for your reply, no harm no foul.

I can totally appreciate your hope that people learn FCP in a thorough way before taking on FCP shows, especially film shows. It's very sound advice. Although, most people (especially in features, and often in software in general) tend to learn on the fly, in combination with manuals, the FCP help feature, etc.

Anyway, thanks.

We have not merged any files; We do have sound code appearing as a separate burn in, so we're hoping we can use that @ the A frame - we're just hoping our method persuades the sound EDL to see what we've keyed in...

Plan B then, is maybe using the audio from the original HD transfers...?

Plan C then, is going with the OMF's from the system (not ideal, but, c'est la vie...)

Hoping someone else searching the forum can learn from this cadaver of a problem, even if we end up going with the OMF's...

(Attention low budget 35mm projects: hire a fully trained, film-experienced assistant for digitizing!! Use the flex files!!)

:0

thanks
February 15, 2008 11:01PM
Hi Jewel--

Do your self a HUGE favor and Loose the No button mouse --

When I first started using a Mac I went 4 years using a
no button mouse --OucH

By my ruff calculations I wasted 11.6 months of my life clicking
threw minues --

There are also the side benefit of using the 2 button mouse
is you will end up having 2 incredibly Strong fingers -
and if you Add in a scowl wheel - Well we dont want to go there -

One thing I would suggest is going to Lynda.com -
They have online FCP training that Very Very Good and is also
very cheap -- Video -- -Jay --

Ps I Flame throwed my No B mouse with a paint spray and a lighter -
February 16, 2008 02:03AM
OK, am I missing something here??

Go into Apple system preferences, keyboard & mouse and set the right side of the mighty mouse to secondary button and viola, you have a three button mouse.

It works great. In fact you can make it a four button mouse if you want winking smiley
February 16, 2008 06:22AM
Get a Razr, and you're it. I'm happy with my two button crystal mouse.
February 16, 2008 08:55AM
> Go into Apple system preferences, keyboard & mouse and set the right side of the mighty mouse
> to secondary button and viola, you have a three button mouse.

The Mighty Mouse, theoretically speaking, has a right button -- but since it's not an actual button, it's grossly inaccurate. And that detestable, uncleanable, style-over-substance scroll ball is one of the worst gimmicks Apple has ever cooked up. When it gets dirty, Apple advises that you "hold the mouse upside down and rub the ball vigorously". That doesn't do jack squat. Last year I finally got so frustrated with it that I smashed the mouse up and bought a Kensington. As for left-right scrolling, great idea, but as Nick Meyers had pointed out to me, holding down SHIFT allows up-down scroll wheels to scroll sideways, and up-down-only scroll wheels are far more accurate than the Blighty Mouse's scroll ball.

In my view, the right button is optional (CONTROL-clicking has done me just fine); the scroll wheel is an absolute must.

www.derekmok.com
February 16, 2008 09:11AM
Haha. What moved me off the mighty mouse was that the scroller f-ed up constantly every few eps. On some projects, i can scroll up and not scroll down, sometimes vice versa. I'm seeing it happen to lots of people using the mighty mouse consistently.

I'd do with a right click anyday, but the scroll wheel is an absolute must. Right click is more important especially when a call comes in and you have a client in the room and you don't want to use your elbow.
February 17, 2008 02:59AM
Tip for Jewel -

You can relax, Tom is playful but never meanspirited. He is a bonafide Guru and a pro editor. We are lucky to have him dropping in here, along with others.

Second, if you want to speed up access to clips in the Timeline to open Item porperties, forget the double-click stuff...

1) Move the playhead to Next edit with the Down arrow key.
2) Press Command-9 to access Item Properties.

Next/Prev Edit unfortunately doesn't yet honor AutoSelect track arming. It picks up every blessed edit. It's a feature request.

Item Properties is unfortunately modal-- you cannot yet leave the dialog open and scoot through the timeline.

You'll pick up the power moves as time goes by, stay with it. There's usually three different ways to accomplish a task.

But do be careful; as discussed, modifying clip info is easier than Avid.

Third--- look at Logitech mice. I use a Cordless Click mouse which has 5 programmable buttons and a scroll wheel, about US$40.00. Love it.

Finally-- and I ask because I haven't done a film finish using FCP-- have you looked at Cinema Tools to database your project? It's a fully featured master log book, comes with Studio.

HTH

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly find Next/Previous timeline Gaps with Shift/Option -G !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 17, 2008 09:05AM
> Item Properties is unfortunately modal-- you cannot yet leave the dialog open and scoot through
> the timeline.

That would be a Feature Request for me. Even QuickTime Player has an Information window that can be left open while you switch clips. Don't see why FCP can't do it.

> Next/Prev Edit unfortunately doesn't yet honor AutoSelect track arming. It picks up every
> blessed edit. It's a feature request.

There's half a workaround by selecting an edit (not a clip) on a track first, and then Next/Previous Edit will apply only to clips on that track. Still, if you want the command to apply only to a few tracks, I don't think there's a feature like that yet.

www.derekmok.com
February 17, 2008 11:41AM
Coming back to the original question.

Whatever mouse you use or whatever key you press - there is NO way within FCP to enter relevant film data, though some of them might be shown in the browser.
You can do it - as always smoking smiley - with XML. But that might be painful.
And you can use CT and a nice secretary to type in all data.

Andreas

P.S. I also think there should be an option to not get this "mighty mouse" when you order a machine - or an extra rebate if you take it.
Jude create a poll - Who loves the "mighty mouse"? Could be fun.
winking smiley
February 18, 2008 09:49AM
[That would be a Feature Request for me. Even QuickTime Player has an Information window that can be left open while you switch clips. Don't see why FCP can't do it. ]

Put it in! I already put in one to keep the Markers dialog open while traversing timeline markers. As I recall, Brian Meaney liked that one.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly find Next/Previous timeline Gaps with Shift/Option -G !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
hi again & thanks & link & last Q: EDL to see Aux TC?
February 18, 2008 12:38PM
HI again

thanks for all the mouse info & general info / feedback, it's all good

- I will schedule in some time to convert as sugested, sounds like a good idea...

meanwhile, as we were moving forward with this sound TC snafu, we found this, from the discussions.apple.com pages:

"Click on the clips and go to the MODIFY menu and choose TIMECODE. Check off AUX TC 1 and there you can modify the AUX TC to match that of your separately recorded audio. Or, you can use your separately recorded audio in the sequence, and the EDL will reflect it.

And if you choose FILE>EXPORT>EDL, you will note that the default EDL type that pops up is the CMX3600 file type. That was the most common standard.

But...hmmm...I am not seeing how to get the EDL to reflect the AUX timecode...you might have to cut in the main code, or in the MODIFY menu, MODIFY the code to match your separately recorded audio." - (courtesy: Shane Ross)

So, that's where we are at this point; the original ass't digitized at drop frame, across TC breaks; so I'm counting backwards over TC breaks, takinng dropped frames into account as I go, and then entering those into our Aux TC column.

We tested later in a few takes, and the Aux TC's stayed spot-on (no drifting) -

however, we still can't get the EDL to read the Aux TC column... so now I am looking up a workaround for that...

any ideas appreciated

thanks bro's & gals as the case may be...
Re: hi again & thanks & link & last Q: EDL to see Aux TC?
February 18, 2008 12:43PM
From Creative Cow forums:

Re: EDL Problems with FCP
by bouke vahl on Jan 22, 2008 at 9:00:47 am

You cannot have AUX timecode in an EDL afaik.
And even if you could, it has no value as there is no relation between your manual entered AUX TC and the actual file, unless you copy as OMF or so. (Dunno if OMF supports aux TC, i'm not a sound guy).
You could alter all tc's to be the same as aux tc, but what is the point? What are you trying to do, probably there is an easier way than typing your fingers off changing everything...

Bouke

www.videoToolShed.com
Re: hi again & thanks & link & last Q: EDL to see Aux TC?
February 18, 2008 06:27PM
Ugh, what a pain in the ass. Has this show actually been cut yet? It almost sounds like you'd save more time and money by recapturing correctly and using a flex file.

February 19, 2008 07:46PM
> I already put in one to keep the Markers dialog open while traversing timeline markers. As I
> recall, Brian Meaney liked that one.

Oh yes, that's a great one. Especially if you're trying to put the Chapter Marker flag on, say, 24 markers.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics