Can this footage be cleaned up?

Posted by Lisha 
Can this footage be cleaned up?
February 18, 2008 05:32PM
Hello to all,

Is there a way to clean up this footage?

[www.badamitv.com]

A friend shot this using a Canon XL1 cameras. There are digital hits, noise, the picture is yellow and blurry. The noise outlines her arms and head and is not constant. It does not show up that much in the above clip but when the picture is full size it is very obvious.

When the footage plays from the Canon XL1 it looks okay in the camera. When I play the footage captured from the Canon XL1 in FCP it has digital hits and noise. If I play it on my DSR-11 it shows noise and digital hits. I've tried capturing the footage from my DSR-11, the Canon XL1 AND had a post house transferred the footage onto new tapes and I captured from those tapes. In order to make the new tapes, the post house had to use the Canon XL1 for playback because the tapes would not playback on whatever machine they were using. The captured footage, from each source, has noise and digital hits.

Two cameras were used on the shoot, both were Canon XL1 cameras. The footage from the other camera is fine.

What would you do? confused smiley

As always, thanks in advance!
Peace,
Lisha :-)

OS 10.4.11
FCP 5.0.4
G5 2.3ghz
Photoshop 7.0
AE 5.5
Re: Can this footage be cleaned up?
February 18, 2008 06:55PM
I can't see that much damage on the small version you've posted. I saw one hit that looked like a drop out. I think the main problem is that it wasn't lit well, and that caused the colour cast and the graininess.

First thing I would do is fix the colour with the 3 way CC. It's only a few clicks. Then maybe try to remove the grain. I can't see much grain on the small version (my eyes aren't great either) but if it's bad, there are a couple of plug-ins you can get to help remove noise.

Or re-shoot it and light it better to begin with.

It wasn't shot on LP by any chance?

February 18, 2008 07:19PM
Thanks Jude! When the picture is full-size there is a lot of noise outlining her head and arms.

I don't think it was shot on LP mode. I'll check with the person who shot it. IF it was shot in LP mode is there a fix for that?

Can anyone suggest noise filters they've had success with? Or just heard of?drinking smiley

Lisha
February 18, 2008 08:10PM
The only reason I asked about LP was because you said it plays well on the camera that shot it, but not on other decks or cams. Sometimes this is a sign that it has been shot in LP. Dubbing, like you have already done, is the answer.

The outline might just be DV. It looks like a whitish outline around areas with highish contrast?

Re: Can this footage be cleaned up? Larger clip posted...
February 19, 2008 12:45PM
Hi Jude and Everyone, smiling smiley

Here's a larger file. The noise I'm speaking of should show up in this clip. It's a download -- click on yogavideotest.mov

[www.badamitv.com]

Look at her hair and arms.

Suggestions on what filters to use or other ways to make the footage look nice is something I'm desperate for! drinking smileyconfused smiley

There are entire sections of this angle that are unusable unless I can do something with the noise/distortion. I think I can use Graham Nattress' filter for the dropouts. And I'm going to color correct.

Thanks so much!
Lisha
Re: Can this footage be cleaned up? Larger clip posted...
February 19, 2008 02:29PM
[www.chv-plugins.com]

works great. Out of focus? You're probably screwed.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics