XDCAM EX 1 work flow and edit system requirements

Posted by James Hecht 
XDCAM EX 1 work flow and edit system requirements
February 19, 2008 05:57PM
Every review I have read, loves the new Sony XDCam EX1. I want to move from DVCam to this HD format. I also want to upgrade my G4 FCP edit system. Can anyone how owns or has used the EX1, talk about the cameras work flow, archiving, video cards and edit system storage requirements. Thanks

Never give up, there is always a solution
Re: XDCAM EX 1 work flow and edit system requirements
February 19, 2008 09:20PM
I'm currently dealing with a G5 Dual 2.3GHz Mac although the move to 8 Core Intel Mac is inevitable.

Right now my workflow is shoot
I have 2 8GB and 1 16GB for 100 minutes.
I hook camera to G5 and use XDCAM XFER tool to hard drive.
I back up the XDCAM .MOV to DL-DVD
I edit XDCAM EX but I'm switching render code to ProRes

Once I get Intel Mac I'll be using Clip Browser to back up the cards original data instead of the .MOV to DL-DVD

At 35Mbps VBR I'm fine with about the same Hard Drive space I've been using for DV.

I do wish someone would make an Express card reader for MacPro rather than having to use slower USB.
Re: XDCAM EX 1 work flow and edit system requirements
February 20, 2008 02:50AM
Craig, how much of a pain is the extra step of rendering to ProRes? To me that's a drawback of working with the EX footage versus DVCProHd from the HVX, unless it's really not that big a deal?

JK

February 20, 2008 08:38AM
HD to DV in FCP

Look at the first step in this article. Go to Render Control and change Codec to ProRes. It even says HDV/XDCAM HD/EX only. It can actually help you to avoid the "conform" while working in long GOP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics