Monitor flicker

Posted by FindonChrispy 
Monitor flicker
February 25, 2008 10:46AM
I am using a sony monitor (not sure of model) that has a nasty habit of making the picture jump or disappear completely whenever the whites are too bright.
This is only a problem when trying to do an initial edit before colour grading. After this has been done there are no problems.

Its only started since the start of the year.

I am editing pal footage (dv) on a macpro 2x2.66 intel xeon with a kona card and a sony dsr-45p set to its component setting.

fcp 515, os 10.4.11 5 gb ram

any suggestions much appreciated.....!
Re: Monitor flicker
February 25, 2008 12:09PM
Make your whites Broadcast Safe. If your monitor is still "jumping" after that, time for a new monitor. Sounds like a cheap and / or defective monitor.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 25, 2008 05:01PM
Its not a cheap or broken monitor!

I have the same problem on PAL video on the Blackmagic 4:4:4 on the component out on my HD Grade 1 Broadcast CRT monitor when whites are nearing or over the PAL gamut in Standard Def however in HD the same white is fine as HD colourspace is different.

Its often because DV footage is often shot in "Superwhite" which gives up to 110% the brightness of PAL or NTSC maximum white.

Quick fix would be to reduce the opacity or stick on the Broadcast Safe filter or save a colour corrector with reduced highlights in your favourites for such an occasion.

The other option is to purchase a Broadcast legaliser from a company such as Eyeheight which sits in between your Kona output and the deck, legalising the output colour & luminance and in realtime.

Its nothing to worry about especially on your Mac as its more than capable of adding a realtime corrector to you footage without needing a render.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 26, 2008 04:36AM
Thanks, i think it is quite an old monitor but its good to hear its still got some life left in it!
I have tried the opacity option before and it has worked but i have just made myself a colour corrector for future use.

Cheers!
February 26, 2008 08:52AM
No problem, I actually find it a useful reminder that I need to grade certain shots, although one of my clients did jump when it happened watching some DV footage we'd imported, he was like "OMG I hope the tape isn't shagged!!!"

grinning smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics