field order HDV

Posted by FindonChrispy 
field order HDV
March 11, 2008 06:21AM
I work for a company that shoot with sony z1's and shoot dv and hdv. we are required to place a de-interlace filter on our footage to generate the look the director requires- change the field order from lower to upper. But i noticed today that the HDV footage captured in already has its field order set to upper. Is this right? I generally only work with DV where the field order is lower and this is the first time i have been given HDV to work on.

I'd just like to know if this is correct and do i still have to apply the de-interlace filter?
Re: field order HDV
March 11, 2008 06:37AM
HDV is upper. When you deinterlace you can pick whichever field works better. The other field is being dumped.
March 11, 2008 07:08AM
cool, so if i applied a de-interlace (or fast de-interlace as they use here) and set it to upper would this be pointless and waste of rendering time? I'm starting to think so but please do tell me if this isnt the case.

Thanks for the reply by the way....
March 11, 2008 07:46AM
i just did a test on a clip half with the fast de-interlace (set to upper) and half without and there is a difference.
How comes? Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.....
March 11, 2008 07:47AM
Whether you deinterlace or keep the interlace depends on where your video is going to be seen/screened. Deinterlacing is pointless if it is going out for SD broadcast/analog tvs. In this case, you'll just be throwing away half the picture.
March 11, 2008 07:49AM
> i just did a test on a clip half with the fast
> de-interlace (set to upper) and half without and
> there is a difference.
> How comes? Any enlightenment would be much
> appreciated.....

Where are you seeing the footage? Is it off a CRT or the canvas screen?
March 11, 2008 08:59AM
I'm watching it back through my pal monitor and the canvas and can see the difference in both, the de-interlace seems to be part of the procedure here as they like the look it provides over the fully interlaced look.

A selling point for the products here seem to be the film-esque look that gets made here. Though i dream about how much time would be saved if the had cameras that shot progressive.... But hey its not my gig i just work to the sheet!

Thanks again for the replies..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics