OT: Telly Awards

Posted by jamesnw 
OT: Telly Awards
March 13, 2008 04:40PM
Hi-
I found out today a documentary I worked on won a Silver Telly Award, and I'm wanting to know how proud to be of this :-). Is this something that is pretty respected? Should I put it on my web site, my resume? I don't want to be the guy who people laugh at, saying, "Man, he fell for the Telly Awards scam." I guess I'm kind of skeptical that I need to pay $150 to accept the award. Any experience with this?
Thanks.

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
Re: OT: Telly Awards
March 13, 2008 08:34PM
I used to have a cabinet full of them, Tellys, Cindys, Addys, Local Emmys, when I had a bigger office with clients streaming in and out. To me, awards mean nothing, they are only good for impressing clients and possibly getting you continued/more $$$.

IMHO, if you have an office with clients who are walking past them, makes sense. If not, you are wasting your money and stroking your ego. You know if your work is good, paying someone else to validate your opinion is lame.

It would be different if you weren't paying for it.

Dan
March 13, 2008 10:55PM
YOu have to pay to get your telly? $150 for the statue? Sheesh...

Just accept the accolade and say "Winner of 2007 Silver Telly" on your website or something.

Do they at least give you a piece of paper to frame?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 13, 2008 11:05PM
Telly's aren't a scam James, you should be proud. Stick it on the resume, I'm sure there'll be more to follow. Well done.
March 13, 2008 11:29PM
May not be a scam but charging you $150 to pick up your trophy? That isn't right.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 14, 2008 12:29AM
If I remember correctly, it was $65 to enter. Then, if you win, you pay an "Acceptance Fee" of $150, which comes along with the trophy and a certificate.

So while the money part is kinda shady (although, I'm not sure what business model would be better), I'll definitely include this on my resume, include something on my web site, etc.

----

and introducing-
March 14, 2008 08:50AM
If you have your own trumpet I say blow it...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 14, 2008 08:59AM
The Silver is the highest honor (except for the 25th Anniversary Telly - which is gold). Telly's do have a certain amount of prestige and do get a lot of press. They are International as well as National Awards and look GREAT on a resume / website. It is definitely something to list on your resume. I won 9 Telly's (2 Gold / 3 Silver / 4 Bronze) and if you have an employer that values you as an asset to their team, they will pay for your trophy (they paid for mine).

FWIW...the trophies are manufactured by R.S. Owens - the same manufacturer as the Oscar & Emmy. They're beautiful trophies (heavy suckers, too!) and you can have them inscribed any way you like (character / line limit).

Side note: Some folks aren't into receiving Awards for their work. The work is the reward...and that's cool. Clients aren't Artists and when they look to us for creative solutions to their visions, a showcase full of Awards show them that the industry we are in recognizes us and I believe shows the client that they are in good hands. They have definitely helped me land gigs.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 14, 2008 09:12AM
Me too, me too. I got one. For my Leopard training disc for Class on Demand.
March 14, 2008 10:58AM
Sadly, my "company" basically accounts to an account at my college with about $1000, to be split up between the four film makers and the college (they gave us the grant.) So really, it's coming out of my pocket either way.

Hehe... my Telly will look funny sitting in my "office" (aka my dorm room).
I'm still surprised that we got a Telly for a 30 minute documentary we did on a $5000 budget.

----

and introducing-
March 14, 2008 11:48AM
Still in college?? EVEN BETTER to come out of college with a Nationally recognized Award under your belt.

CONGRATS!! smiling smiley

March 14, 2008 11:50AM
Yes, congrats James! Very cool.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 14, 2008 12:56PM
James,

That's AWESOME! Eat it up!

This brought up some memories from back when I was an audio mastering engineer. I received notice from one of our record companies that I was working for that one of our projects had gone Platinum and two others had gone Gold. I said great will I be receiving a palque for my studio. They said sure.... send us $1,500 each. Needless to say, these projects live on only in my memory :-).

Steve
March 14, 2008 12:57PM
> I'm still surprised that we got a Telly for a 30 minute documentary we did on a $5000 budget.

Content is everything...ideas, passion and talent are more important than money. Good for you.

www.derekmok.com
March 14, 2008 01:32PM
[the trophies are manufactured by R.S. Owens - the same manufacturer as the Oscar & Emmy. They're beautiful trophies (heavy suckers, too!) and you can have them inscribed any way you like (character / line limit). ]

This is the silver guy with the television in his stomach? Oh, yes, very prestigious. Worked on several.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set Video In & Out separate from Audio with Control I & O !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 14, 2008 02:35PM
No, Loren...THIS is a Telly:

March 14, 2008 05:34PM
When I moved out of my office, I ended up throwing about $5,000.00 worth of those and all of the other ones away because I had no place at the new office to keep them. I should have put them up on Ebay I guess?

Nice looking award but do you know many people who entered the Telly Awards and didn't win something? The ratio of winners is pretty high, I think that they have an interesting business model going ;-) Looks good on your CV and reel but do you really want a $150.00 paperweight with your student loan debts?

Sorry, I just can't help it!

Dan
March 14, 2008 05:38PM
But I heard chicks dig Telly award winners. That counts for something.

smileys with beer

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 14, 2008 07:55PM
Not my wife but maybe because she had to pay half ;-)

Yeah, I bet college age chicks get all weak kneed from those Telly awards. I am going to tell my daughter to watch out for those guys when she hits college!

D
March 14, 2008 10:57PM
Telly's look good, especially in industrial work. But they are not that hard to get and they give away a lot of them. They have to charge for the statues because the awards are all this organization does. Unlike NATAS or AMPAS where they give relatively few away and pay for them with profits from the broadcast. If you win you get the certificate. But you pay for the statue. And they are kind of nice.

A lot of production companies (industrials) I have worked for will order one for the client if the show wins. You can order extras if you want and since clients more or less are the executive producers on an industrial it's easy to order one for them. That makes the producing client look really good to his or her boss.
March 15, 2008 01:06PM
But which award had the silver guy with the television in his stomach?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set Video In & Out separate from Audio with Control I & O !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 15, 2008 01:22PM
That's the "BELLY" Award winking smiley

Seriously...couldn't tell ya...have never seen anything of that type (couldn't even GOOGLE it).

March 15, 2008 03:17PM
It is in this photo here on the left. Picture too small to see what kind of award it is but it may be a Telly before the current design came into use.

[www.empirevideo.com]
March 15, 2008 07:09PM
Loren, I think you're thinking of Allen Sherman's version of the 12 Days of Christmas

"... a statue of a Buddha with a clock in his stomach,
and a Japanese transistor ra-di-o!""

or not winking smiley

Scott
March 15, 2008 07:32PM
I think Loren's smoking some really good weed.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 15, 2008 07:58PM
What did the old CABLE ACE awards look like?

Oh, yeah...a giant spade.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 16, 2008 05:43AM
It's a Logie, Australian television industry awards,

Mio

[au.tv.yahoo.com]
March 16, 2008 07:04AM
oh, no, not the Logies!

they're probably our biggest media awards,
but they're not much more than a popularity contest run by the local "TV Guide" type magazine.

i like the statuette. it's kinda cute, and i like that it hasn't been changed much since the 50's/60s,
but that tv set is nowhere near the figure's stomach

and in case you're wondering, they're named after John Logie Baird, one of the early inventors of TV.

nick
March 16, 2008 10:03AM
Here is a really blurry picture of a Telly circa '94 that was awarded for a project on which I was the assistant editor.

The Telly in the Belly design gave way to the current one Joe posted sometime after the mid-90's. That's all I know.

Sorry for the quality of the photo. It was one of the first shots I took with my iPhone. I found the statue when I was freelancing for the company that bought my old company. It was high on a dusty shelf in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard".

The editor, let alone the assistant, never received a statue. The company paid for it. The company got it. The company sold it like it was a bank of VHS duplicators.

tongue sticking out smiley

deb
February 12, 2009 12:40AM
Loren. Debe and others

but there was a 1st first Telly.... man holding wreath looked sorrta like an Oscar

2ed Telly same as above but man holding tv near belly

third telly is the one they shoed on the final cut users group
please post to the final cut board as I do not have an id there. I will try to sign on and post but if you do not see it there in the morning go ahead and post away..

We look for older Tellys and other awards for the communications museum at www.smecc.org I was sad to read of the guy that threw his away..

thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC and director courygraph productions

debe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a really blurry picture of a Telly circa
> '94 that was awarded for a project on which I was
> the assistant editor.
>
> [i48.photobucket.com]
> _0033.jpg
>
> The Telly in the Belly design gave way to the
> current one Joe posted sometime after the
> mid-90's. That's all I know.
>
> Sorry for the quality of the photo. It was one of
> the first shots I took with my iPhone. I found the
> statue when I was freelancing for the company that
> bought my old company. It was high on a dusty
> shelf in a disused lavatory with a sign on the
> door saying "Beware of the leopard".
>
> The editor, let alone the assistant, never
> received a statue. The company paid for it. The
> company got it. The company sold it like it was a
> bank of VHS duplicators.
>
> tongue sticking out smiley
>
> deb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics