URGENT HELP Needed: BLACK Frames Introduced by Conform

Posted by Gary Sumlak 
URGENT HELP Needed: BLACK Frames Introduced by Conform
March 19, 2008 07:04PM
I am working on a multi-language PAL DVD. The original project is in 24fps NTSC from film footage.

The DVD was supposed to be sent to be glass mastered today, but can not because of the following problem. We had the exact same problem with the NTSC version, but I was able to use a non-Cinema Tools work around that unfortunately does not work with the PAL version.

The completed time lines were edited in FCP6 @ 24fps (not 23.98) and exported as self contained Uncompressed-8 bit 4:2:2 QT files. This is done for all language versions. Although the stock footage and cuts are identical in all 4 languages, because of localized titles (Spanish, French, English, German), I have 4 unique timelines.

I then bring in ALL 4 tracks and use Cinema Tools conform to change the tracks to 25 fps. This all happens VERY fast and without any error messages.

However, when I review the conformed tracks, Conform has REPLACED 3 frames or video with BLACK frames @ exactly 3:25.12 in all the tracks! I have repeated this process a number of times, and prior to the Conform, the replaced frames are there, but after the conform the same frames in all tracks are replaced with BLACK.

I have tried this with conforms to other frame rates, and BLACK frames ALWAYS replace video frames at some point in the clip. I have checked the frame count, and although the replaced frames are 100% consistent as to where they are found across the 4 tacks, the frame number and time-codes are different for each Conform to frame rate, but they ALWAYS occur.

Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening and what I can do to prevent this?

Short of using FCP Media Manager to export all the used "cuts" portion of the film clips and using conform to change the frame rate (as the problem only seems to occur on longer clips and therefor should not occur in the shorter cuts), which would be very time consuming, I can not find any other solution.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Re: URGENT HELP Needed: BLACK Frames Introduced by Conform
March 19, 2008 07:18PM
What about using Compressor to convert to 25f PAL? Or Graeme Nattress' great and cheap standards conversion tool?

Find it here
Natress Standards convertor

March 19, 2008 07:25PM
I have the plugin and Graeme recommended Using Cinema Tools conform. The plugin is designed for standard 29.97 video, not 24 fps.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
[www.thumbprints.ca]

March 19, 2008 07:46PM
Oh, sorry, it says 24p.

March 19, 2008 07:55PM
A Quick update:

Although I have not found a resolution, I have discovered that any clip over 3:35.16 in length @ 24 fps, has the video replaced with black frames at *exactly 3:15:16*. I have tested this with 4 completely different clips made from unique content, and the black frame occur in every clip.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
[www.thumbprints.ca]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics