more clips made than logged when capturing

Posted by robin 
more clips made than logged when capturing
March 21, 2008 09:32PM
After logging a tape, I'm batch capturing. However, as it captures, it makes multiple clips from my longer clips I specified.

I have the setting "on TC break make new clip" which is what I want. Is the only reason I get multiple clips because the tape has TC breaks? The camera person doesn't think there are breaks in the timecode.

Is there another setting in FCP that prompts adding/spliting up new clips from what I have specified?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Robin
Re: more clips made than logged when capturing
March 21, 2008 11:27PM
> The camera person doesn't think there are breaks in the timecode.

The camera operator isn't the one working with the tapes so I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. I've had camera operators give me false information that was costly to the post-production process. What format are you working with? HDCam and HDV, for example, are both susceptible to "invisible" timecode breaks.

www.derekmok.com
March 21, 2008 11:30PM
FCP recreates new clips at every start and stop point of the camera regardless of how you logged the clip.

It probably has nothing to do with timecode breaks.
March 21, 2008 11:50PM
> FCP recreates new clips at every start and stop point of the camera regardless of how you logged
> the clip.

Not true. Many tape formats can capture across camera start/stop points continuously. In DV and DigiBeta documentary, for example, you can capture the entire tape as one clip (though I don't usually recommend it) regardless of how many times the camera stopped and started recording, unless the camera was using time-of-day/free-run timecode (in which case the start/stop points are timecode breaks), or the camera was put into VTR mode. A battery change can also cause this, though all three above cases result in timecode breaks, not "invisible" breaks.

www.derekmok.com
March 22, 2008 01:38PM
Thanks for the above info.

I'm working with HDV. Using Sony PHDVM-63M tape. HDV (HDV 1080i) 60i format
Camera ? Sony HDR-FX7
Tape Deck ? Sony Digital HD Videocassette Recorder, Model # HVR-M25U

It looks like it starts a new clip with every stop of the camera. Also sometimes inbetween the start and stop so that may be a drop out or something wrong on the tape.
March 22, 2008 01:41PM
Also, I have previously worked with BetaCam, DigiBeta and DV mini tapes and it captured exactly what I logged.
March 22, 2008 03:07PM
OK, we're not talking about digibeta or DV, its HDV and I have not found a way to capture HDV WITHOUT it creating a new clip at EVERY camera start/stop.

It would be great if it would, but it doesn't.
March 22, 2008 06:15PM
> OK, we're not talking about digibeta or DV, its HDV and I have not found a way to capture HDV
> WITHOUT it creating a new clip at EVERY camera start/stop.

Which is why I specified "HDV and HDCam are susceptible" to this. Not FCP itself. FCP does not "recreate new clips at every start and stop point". Gotta be a precise here; we have new FCP users who will take this for face value and learn logging wrong. Lord knows we got enough people who skip learning logging altogether, much to their own disadvantage later.

www.derekmok.com
March 22, 2008 07:18PM
in the HDV log & capture window there is a button:
"create new clips for every shot", (or something like that)
it's ON by default.

so turn it off and you should be able to capture a whole TAPE of HDV in one clip.

nick
March 22, 2008 08:07PM
True - HDV can now be captured across scenes. I've got a 12 minute clip here right now that contains lots of different locations all in the same clip.

But I think it depends on your version of FCP. The original HDV handling didn't let you do this. It's a recent addition, can't remember which version. I'm on 6.0.1 and it's working fine here.

March 24, 2008 12:29PM
Nick hit the nail on the head. By default "start/stop" detection is turned ON in FCP for HDV so you just need to turn it OFF and you should be good to go.

-A
March 26, 2008 10:19AM
Thank you for that info! I was unaware of the new feature. I'm sure many of us are very thankful to know about it.

The solutions are so simple sometimes!

-Robin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics