Eureka "Slip-Slide Tool"

Posted by ChrisMoriarty 
Eureka "Slip-Slide Tool"
March 26, 2008 07:29AM
For all the Avid users switching to FCP.
1 year later I discover this by accident.

Selecting a clip using the "Slip-Slide Tool"
Trim Back-Forward left-right slides the clip 1 frame like the "lasso slip" Avid method.
Shift Trim advances 10 frames.

I've been mouse dragging that tool for a year.

Noticed it on an audio waveform yesterday with the Slip-Slide engaged.

Eureka!
Re: Eureka "Slip-Slide Tool"
March 26, 2008 10:30AM
Nice one Chris. I have been starring at the trim keys (two sets of 'em) on my keyboard wondering what I would ever use them for!

Vance
March 26, 2008 05:18PM
Also, if a clip is selected and you then switch to the slip tool, you can type frames on the number pad to slip the clip.

Andy
March 26, 2008 05:37PM
> Also, if a clip is selected and you then switch to the slip tool, you can type frames on the number
> pad to slip the clip.

Another FCP6 thing, maybe? I just tried it this morning and it didn't work. Typing in numbers results in the normal behaviour for a selected clip -- move forward and backward, not slip forward and backward.

www.derekmok.com
March 26, 2008 05:50PM
No, this worked in FCP 5 for me. You select the clip with the arrow or with the select tool and then you have to make sure to change the tool to the slip tool (S). When you hit + or - the box at the top of the sequence should indicate Slip instead of Move. Strange that it doesn't work for you.

andy
March 26, 2008 05:58PM
a slight warning for you avid people:

the slip & slide in FCP wont work on a RANGE of clips the way you might be used to.

slide will just slide the content of each and every shot.
slide on a range is just too weird and unpredictable to ever be useful.
you'll have to do this manually. (bump up to another track, and use the default selection tool to move by numbers)

and yes...
select a clip,
invoke slip or slide,
then enter numbers or nudge

works for me.

nick
March 26, 2008 06:54PM
Bizarre...I did the exact same process as this morning (Arrow to select a clip, S to switch to Slip, enter number on pad) and now it's working whereas it didn't when I'd first read the post.

Voodoo?

(Yes, generally our first response to something like this would be human error...)

www.derekmok.com
March 26, 2008 07:49PM
Ah that's a good one to add to Avid2FCP, for the people who don't know it there. Good one Chuck.

March 26, 2008 07:58PM
Also, you can change the number of frames that it will slip with shift held by going to User Preferences > Editing > Multi Frame Trim Size, up to 99 frames at a time.

March 27, 2008 02:32PM
Now if only we can get the 2 up display while trimming/slip/slide by keyboard without having to go into Trim Window....

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics