Editing for TV, how do i do the breaks and timing
March 26, 2008 03:00PM
I have a 2 hour feature that needs to be edited for TV, i have never done this before. the distributor says it needs to be broken up into 7min 30sec to 8min sections for the commercial breaks. Do i need to put anything in these breaks or just fade out and up? how critical is the timing on these breaks? Also the show length in total, How long should it be and how much flexibility is there/ i am at about 77 min right now.

the show has not been sold yet so there is no specific network to format for, they are thinking the Family Channel might pick it up.

Thanks, Mark
Re: Editing for TV, how do i do the breaks and timing
March 26, 2008 04:52PM
Until you know what network this will land on...do nothing.

You need to follow the guidelines for the particular network this happens to land on...and every one does things differentlly. Some want 30 sec between Acts, some only 5 seconds, some 2. Some want VERY SPECIFIC and I mean down to the FRAME as to where the Act breaks end and start. Some want show bumpers (graphics) at the head and tail of each act. Then they each will have their own end credit list format that you need to follow.

Wait until you find out who it is for. OH, and now you will have to color correct the footage to fall within their technical specs, and also most likely have to deliver an audio tape of the mixed stems (DA-88 typically).

There's a lot involved in this.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 26, 2008 05:02PM
Thanks Shane!

I am just editing it right now are they flexible on the length of the segments between the commercial breaks?

thanks, mark
March 26, 2008 05:36PM
Sometimes. Some networks don't want an act under 6 min, others might insist on one under 6 min (odd but happened). But the act breaks are nothing to worry about...those you can format later. But what is VERY critical is the total running time. You cannot edit your show for TV and break up the acts until you know what the running time must be. For hour long shows, some networks allow for 44:30, others want 42:40 or 43:10. Two hours might be 90:00, or 92:40, or 91:30...you just don't know. And they might count the blacks between acts in this total show time. So until you know specifics on total running time and length of commercial breaks, you really can't make a well informed edit.

Gotta wait...or you will just be making more work for yourself.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 26, 2008 07:25PM
It sounds like the distributor is giving you 30 seconds grace in which to choose your break points. So that means, anywhere from 7 min 30 into the show to 8 minutes into the show you need to find a nice tidy place to stop. Of course this is preferably at a scene change.

When you find this point, fade to black and push the rest of the show forward 30 seconds.

Like Shane says, this is all variable depending on the requirements of the Network, but it can also be changed later. What is important is to get your breaks happening.

You will also probably have to include a clapper and countdown at the head of each segment, so add your show clapper, mark it as segment two and then add a countdown and then fade up on segment two.

Go forward 7 and a half to 8 minutes and repeat.

Again, what Shane says about show length. You won't know this until you get a deal. Some I have had to deliver down to the frame in mulitples of five seconds. So, it could be 22.25, or 22.30, but not 22.29 or 22.29.12.

March 26, 2008 08:27PM
I have never edited long form for broadcast but if I did, I would be asking those who are receiving your project these questions...not us. There are no stupid questions when prepping a project for air. They are all different. If the Distributor can't give exact information, you may have to wait until you find out who's airing it and get that info from them (like shane says).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 27, 2008 03:16AM
There is a possibility the distributor is asking for some kind of genericized version to use as an initial sales tool. You will have to make a custom version for any cable network they sell it to. Not only the formatting of acts and the way commercial breaks are layed out, but also audio mix levels, possibly having to pass a Dolby LM100 loudness inspection. It's a lot harder to pass that test than throwing a "broadcast safe" filter on the picture to pass a picture inspection.
March 27, 2008 08:23AM
Remember that on your final master the clock start time on your breaks begin at a 30 second point on your timeline and the next section of your program starts on an even number ie 01:01:00:00.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics