dust and scratch removal plugin

Posted by di_basa 
dust and scratch removal plugin
March 31, 2008 09:21AM
hi all,

anyone know of a good dust and scratch removal plugin for fcp?
or, as an alternative, a standalone app?

I am looking to re-DVD some older 16/35mm films and some places could use a cleanup.

Thanx for any thoughts,
thomas
Re: dust and scratch removal plugin
March 31, 2008 10:08AM
check this out:

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

not exactly cheap,
and runs in After Effects

nick
March 31, 2008 11:17AM
March 31, 2008 12:14PM
thanx,

I'm trying the CHV-plugins out right now since I don't use AE.
Although one can't work on individual scratches/dust, CHV repair collection seems to do a fairly good job, theoretically.

After loading 3 plugs onto a sequence, FCP crashes after saying that it needs 13 hours for rendering a 20 sec clip in SD uncompressed... (OS 10.5.2, FCP 6.0.2, 8core-2.8 Gig)
Wonder if that's ok... up to 2 will work fine.

Kevin, do you use CHV?

Thomas
March 31, 2008 01:18PM
well I've testes around with CHV "The Repair Collection" for a couple of hours.

Those who are interested in my findings: the plugins are tweakable, although you can work only on the entire image, not on artifacts separately. I think for SD- DVD work as an endproduct, they are entirely sufficient.

Besides this, loading two dirt removal plugs, one working on white spots, the other on black spots, will make my mac crash...every time, also during export not just render.

There are workarounds, involving exporting with the white spots plugin as SCQT, then applying the black spots plugin on a new sequence containing the exported SCQT, but I don't think
money is payable for a product that crashes itself..

Any other suggestions for plugins besides CHV and Redgiantsoftware?
I am aware that PFClean is a really serious piece of software that costs 10000 + Euros, while CHV wants 99 bucks

Thanx
April 16, 2008 09:26AM
I use FilmFix plugins.
It works, but is a hell of a job (we got a lot to do).
That is why i wrote a few apps to help me. (check my site for those)
First one, ReCut. In order to have the plugins work right, you need
separate shots to feed AE.
Next, be prepared to do a lot of manual checking / fixing as well.
We normally first run everything trough the Flicker Fixer, that does a tremendous good job, as long as objects are not moving close in front of the camera...
Then we use the dirt removal. It takes a long time to tweak the settings for good results, and it highly depends on the amount of motion in the shot.
Using good settings, i have rendertimes of 1 to 150 on a quad core 3ghz (windows)
That's right, 150 seconds per second output...

After that, me manually clean certain frames using Photoshop and a rotoscope tool we've developed. (also available on my site, but windows only at the moment)

Don't hesitate to ask me any specific questions you might have. I'm working on a bigger detailed piece on our workflow, but that'll take a few more weeks....

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
bouke@videotoolshed.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics