Online Tape Logging

Posted by kevineditor 
Online Tape Logging
April 07, 2008 11:55AM
Many editors have to look elsewhere for 3rd party products in regards to tape logging management software.

Right now, the best solution I have found is to use Microsoft Excel to organize my library of tapes.

If FCP was to invent some sort of software that allowed users to organize their media the way Excel does, with searchable abilities, this would be AWESOME.

Just like Color, this would certainly differentiate FCP.

Thank You.
Re: Online Tape Logging
April 07, 2008 11:59AM
Oh, I forgot to mention.

If this software could somehow be "online" so editors throughout the country in our company could search through my library, this would also be AWESOME.

Thanks.
April 07, 2008 12:17PM
It's called FINAL CUT SERVER...and some people have it, but the rest of the world is waiting for it to be formally released.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 07, 2008 04:51PM
What is wrong with Apple anyway, is the iPhone consuming all the resources?
The phone is OK, i do enjoy mine but where is Final Cut Server and the Studio Updates? For how long FCP hasn't got an update and Final Cut Server was supost be realesed last Summer?
Even Leopard was left behind!

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
April 07, 2008 05:02PM
iPhones and iPods are what is making Apple the powerhouse it is becoming. iMacs saved the company, and these new devices are building the Apple brand. So they put their resources where it counts...economically. They pulled people off the OS build to get the iPhone out...and did you know that already over HALF of the population has an iPod...not a portable media player, AN IPOD. That shocked me.

So Apple isn't like Avid in another respect...Avid is all about the media software, where Apple has it secondary on it's mind....or third-ary...they do sell computers too.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 07, 2008 10:57PM
There IS a third party solution that's FAR easier than doing this in Excel -- Movie Logger from Digital Heaven -- it makes logging so much easier (and creates XML and RTF files which you can import into excel or other data base if you want)

no more typing time code (it picks it up from Quicktime Files -- Martin Baker made a great logging program that should be included with Final Cut

go here

movielogger program
April 08, 2008 01:26AM
I've given up on FCP server, what a shame.

Another product worth a look is in the banner on the left, Media Batch. I'm hoping it can be modified enough to become an FCP Server lite.

I'm going to check it out at NAB.
April 10, 2008 09:48PM
kevineditor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> If FCP was to invent some sort of software that
> allowed users to organize their media the way
> Excel does, with searchable abilities, this would
> be AWESOME.

Okay, I'm new and all, but I was recently reading in Final Cut Pro 3 & DVD Studio Pro Handbook by Adam Watkins, copyright 2002, that "...FCP has an interesting way of importing Excel spreadsheets that have logs organized appropriately. However, the easiest way to work with the the idea of logging is to do so right in FCP."

I don't know what the "interesting way" is yet, but it sounded to me like it would fit the bill, just as it is.

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics