How do you upscale (slightly) your SD ?

Posted by Francois 
How do you upscale (slightly) your SD ?
April 08, 2008 03:59AM
Dv, Beta

I mean improve a clip you want a littler bigger, more def ?

not make it HD ! like some solution (Instant HD ... or this new thing that you might want to give a look at: The super-resolution demo

just improve it, (I've heard BCC 5 have some filter )...

a plug like Au Natural can improve 25% without noticing but if you have any movement in the clip it's a mess

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
Re: How do you upscale (slightly) your SD ?
April 08, 2008 06:01AM
I just stumbled across this in Mike's LAFCPUG newsletter:

[www.digitaljuice.com]

Instant HD up-converts DV video into a variety of HD video formats. Choose from a list of preset resolutions to easily integrate DV video into your next High Definition production. When scaling from standard definition (SD) to high definition (HD), the missing pixels must be generated in an intelligent way. Instant HD provides a high-quality method for converting SD sources to HD within your favorite video application.

PS: I'll be in Paris the week of April 26 thru May 2. Any special events happening then? Thanks!

Phil Cramer
Indianapolis
April 08, 2008 08:01AM
Phil,

yes Instant HD is the right direction since I can read on your link

Scale SD video for pan and scan adjustments.

thanks

well regarding events in Paris ... we had the Olympic Torch yesterday and it was somehow fun, let's see in San Francisco can do better.

I'll ask around... & let you know

we don't have a Paris Final Cut Pro User Group but we are thinking about it. We being a few people involved in the Fcp revolution, we are mostly ADP, (Apple Distinguished Pro : for what its worth...)

April 08, 2008 09:50AM
That sounds fantastic...but how do you convert the interlaced NTSC video to progressive in FCP?

Casey
www.unitedvideoinc.com
April 08, 2008 03:39PM
Casey

well ... go progressive from interlaced (Pal in my case) would be an another thread/topic ...

very much discussed in this forum already . you don't have to wait for answers you can do a search

the authority in that case would be Graeme Nattress

April 08, 2008 05:15PM
You know, the in-built scaling (if you set it to high quality) in FCP isn't that bad at all.....

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
April 09, 2008 02:32AM
Graeme

SD, even with minor rescaling turns out way too softy for me with just Fcp

I've try Instant HD, it's all a process, with the progressive etc, but very interesting.

by the way didn't you mention a few months ago that you were working on something like that ?

April 09, 2008 04:58PM
Francois,

in your sequence's settings,
go to "Video Processing" tab,
and set "Motion Scaling" to best quality.

see if that improves things

(oh, and look at your external monitor, not the canvas)

nick
April 10, 2008 09:29AM
Am I just as well off using the built-in scaling that FCP offers as opposed to trying to convert my interlaced video to progressive so I could use InstantHD? Do you think there'd be that much of a difference?

The standard def footage I'm talking about specifically is some really old footage on 3/4". Would it be worthwhile to upconvert all that to HD (HDV in my case) for archival purposes (scaled to fit or pillarboxed)?

Thanks,
Casey
April 10, 2008 12:29PM
Nick
Even with "Motion Scaling" to best quality (been there years ago...) any zooming in a picture with Fcp on SD footage turns out softing, crapping...

you need a real algorithm based enlargement

Casey
You're going from BVU or U'matic to HDV ? I would avoid HDV , go DvcPro HD or full HD, why not ProRes ? (HDV is ok ... when budget consideration impose the use of such a camcorder (opposed to DvcPro HD for instance). and then capture on some better coder/format.

but with footage you are free.

April 10, 2008 12:57PM
I don't have full HD...and there really isn't a budget to do hardly anything in the first place. I'm mostly wondering if I'm better off capturing everything into FCP, putting it onto an HDV timeline, and exporting to HDV tape....versus just doing a straight Umatic to DVCPro or DV transfer, and doing an upconversion sometime down the road. Maybe when set-top blu-ray recorders come out, and if there's a way to do an upconversion via hardware, that might be the ticket.

For now, we're mostly just wanting to get the footage off Umatic because we had two decks, sold one to a friend and kept one, and the one we kept died on us, so we're borrowing the one we had sold (needed it for a project...first time in 10 years!), and we're just thinking about the future.

Casey

Oh, and did you mean in your last post "cropping" or "crappy", you wrote "crapping" which is something completely different in English smiling smiley
April 11, 2008 03:16AM
you could capture in SD uncompressed (through some rented card (RGB) and have your footage digitalized once for all for the times to come. You'll get... what's on the tape, no more no less. And then upscale them for any project coming

I bet you'll have to deal with a lot of drops out !

------------
yes I meant " crappy" smiling smiley

April 11, 2008 09:31AM
It's nothing vital....mostly just projects put together in school; just want to preserve them for posterity, not that anyone else would care. Probably going to just go to DVCPro and also DVD to watch it.

Thanks!
Casey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics