Clip audio - defaulting to stereo linked pair?

Posted by jwilliam 
Clip audio - defaulting to stereo linked pair?
April 16, 2008 12:22PM
So option-L will make a linked stereo pair out of audio clips in the timeline, but is there a way to have the audio already linked when I drag a clip onto my timeline?

Is there an option in the project window that creates a stereo pair for the audio? Or a setting when digitizing?

Jeff
Re: Clip audio - defaulting to stereo linked pair?
April 16, 2008 12:41PM
Yep. In the log and capture window, in the audio tracks, there are two circles. when they are interlinked, they are a stereo pair, when they are separated, they function as mono tracks.
April 16, 2008 01:03PM
That's what's going on! Thanks!

I started a new project and couldn't figure out why my audio wasn't coming through this way... Now I can blame the assistant!

Once a clip has been digitized like that, is there a way to stereo-pair the audio from the project window?
April 16, 2008 01:13PM
> I started a new project and couldn't figure out why my audio wasn't coming through this way...
> Now I can blame the assistant!

To change a clip that was logged that way, all you have to do is Make Offline (SHIFT-D, Leave Files on Disk), use Modify - Clip Settings on the offline clips to change them to Stereo or Dual Mono, and then Reconnect Media.

If you have only two audio channels, I actually suggest that you log your clips as Stereo Paired. The reason is that with Dual Mono clips, any filters, level adjustments (either via numbers or clip overlays), panning etc. would have to be done twice. With Stereo Paired, you can adjust both at the same time. And should you need them as Dual Mono again, you can select 1000 Stereo Paired clips, press OPTION-L and break their Stereo Linking with one operation, then select all 1000 and press CONTROL-. to pan them to the center. Two operations for 1000 clips. But the other way around, 1000 Dual Mono clips would actually require 2000 operations to Stereo Link them -- select both, OPTION-L, select the next pair, OPTION-L.

www.derekmok.com
April 16, 2008 01:41PM
Thanks, Derek... That "make offline" tip is great!

I've gotten used to getting audio as "stereo pair", so when this project started and the tracks were coming in dual mono, my confusion mounted.

And the "control-." to center pan is great, also... would have saved me countless keystrokes on my last project.
April 17, 2008 03:49PM
Another cool reason for Option-L is that you can set audio keyframes for both tracks identically, and when you revert to dual mono-- they stick!

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Set your customized window layout 1 or 2 by holding Option then click
Window menu>Arrange>and select Set Custom Layout 1 or 2 !

Then use Custom Layout 1 or 2 with Shift-U or Option-U !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics