Best way to output 720 24pn to SD tape?

Posted by Garret 
Best way to output 720 24pn to SD tape?
April 20, 2008 10:21PM
I think I've got a fairly simple and common question here. (Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it.)

I have a 720 24pn DVCPro HD sequence that I need to output to a miniDV tape.

I don't have a Kona or Blackmagic card, I'm using Firewire to output to a camera.

I tried the "nest the HD sequence into a DV sequence and render" method. The timebase needs to match, so I wind up with a 23.98 DV sequence that seems to play fine. Can I feel good about outputting this to a miniDV tape? Isn't this a poorman's downconvert?

I figured a better way would be to use Compressor to convert the QT to a 4x3 letter boxed 29.97 DV clip, import that into FCP, put it in a sequence and output. But I can't figure out how to get the 4x3 letterbox.

I use the "DV NTSC" preset, but that only converts it to DV and 29.97. What setting do I change to use letterboxing? Padding? Dimensions? Something simpler?

Am I making this more complicated than it is? Would appreciate some perspective. Thanks.

Garret

2x.2.66 GHz Dual-Core Mac Pro, 5 GB RAM, FCP 6.0.1, OS 10.5.1, QT 7.4
Re: Best way to output 720 24pn to SD tape?
April 21, 2008 09:33AM
Yes, you can. 23.98 sequences can be outputted via FW with a standard 3:2 pulldown. Check your playback prefs for the pulldown pattern. When you turn on your external video, FCP will add the pulldown on the way out thru your FW. I don't know if this pulldown is added for print to video or edit to tape, but I would imagine so. check the manual for that. Otherwise, you can crash it out on playback.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics