Sonnet Tempo incompatible with Mac Pro firmware update?

Posted by Benjamin Meyer 
Sonnet Tempo incompatible with Mac Pro firmware update?
April 23, 2008 10:46PM
Hello,

I recently ran the latest Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update (version 1.3) on my January 2008 Mac Pro.

Following that update, my eSATA RAID stopped mounting. I checked my System Profiler, to find that the computer did not even acknowledge the presence of my Sonnet Tempo E2P card, anymore. It had previously shown up under PCI Cards, as it should.

I downloaded the drivers from the Sonnet website, and installed them. No luck.

I brought my computer back to Melrose Mac, where they ordered a brand new card, and installed that for me.

When I brought the computer home, I found that the problem persisted (thanks for checking your work, Melrose Mac!).

Has anybody else discovered this problem? Has anybody fixed this problem?

Thanks very much!
Re: Sonnet Tempo incompatible with Mac Pro firmware update?
April 24, 2008 01:56AM
Well! File this one under "problem solved".

After waiting around most of a week for Melrose Mac to order a brand new card and install it, it turns out that the problem is actually this:

Sonnet cards must be installed in Slot 3 or 4. They cannot be installed in Slot 2.

So, the original card that they replaced was undoubtedly in fine working order. They just didn't know what they were doing when they installed it.

After a single post on the Apple Support Discussions thread, I had the answer within a couple of hours.

What really bothers me is that when I picked my computer up, today, the service technician assured me that they had, in fact, turned my computer on and checked that the new card was now working. I mean, it's one thing to be incompetent, and another to lie to your customer's face.

Anyhoo ...
April 24, 2008 03:50PM
Thanks for the "problem solved" - I have (or hopefully had) the same but haven't found the time to look deeper into that.

Andreas
April 24, 2008 07:41PM

What really bothers me is that when I picked my computer up, today, the service technician assured me that they had, in fact, turned my computer on and checked that the new card was now working. I mean, it's one thing to be incompetent, and another to lie to your customer's face.

They probably just swapped slots with the old card and told you that the card was new.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 24, 2008 07:44PM
I wish! If they had swapped the slots, the card would have worked, again. The problem was they put the new card back in slot 2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics