How much RAM do you have??

Posted by Ryan T 
How much RAM do you have??
April 25, 2008 02:42PM
Yeah you can install 32 Gigs of RAM, but why would anybody actually do that? Just wondering how much RAM everyone out there is actually using?

Ryan
Re: How much RAM do you have??
April 25, 2008 02:50PM
I have 6GB on mine and the wife has 12. She has 12 because she runs a couple of VMWare sessions with 3GB allocated to each. I only ever run 1 VM session with 3GB allocated.
April 25, 2008 03:41PM
6GB here too. FCP (and most other apps) will never get close to using a full 32GB, but if you're running a special setup like VMWare or doing lots of intense computations (like in a science or math lab) you might use the full amount.

JK

April 25, 2008 04:36PM
4GB on my MacPRo, 3.5GB on my G5. 2GB on my Powerbook. I don't run many applications at the same time, so that is fine. If I were to run more, I'd up it to 6GB or 8GB.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 25, 2008 06:29PM
FCP still cant access more than 4G of RAM, i think,
so anymore than that is only going to help you if you need to run other apps at the same time.

i have 4G on my iMac,
and 8 on the MacPro.

nick
April 25, 2008 08:44PM
I have 4 GB in my MBP, 4.5 on my PPC Quad, 8 Gig on my Octocore (work)...but I could tell you why 32 Gb RAM is totally necessary for us grafix guys. There's a program called NucleoPro2 that renders After Effects & 3D app processes in the background which allows you to keep working (wish they could figure this out for FCP). The standard requirement for good performance is 2 GB of RAM per core. That's 16 GB for an OctoCore. That's just for one app. Then some of us are running After Effects, Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Illustrator, FCP, Firefox, Apple Remote Desktop, iTunes & DiskTracker - ALL at the same time without even a sniff of trouble.

If you can afford it, max out your RAM. It's the least expensive way to dramatically increase performance on any machine.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 25, 2008 10:24PM
I've still only got 2GB on my octocore, because I bought it with the minimum apple installed RAM so I could add third party stuff later, and I haven't got around to it yet.

I am pretty good at only having a couple of apps open at a time (years of training), but I have no trouble with PSD and FCP running simultaneously. I'm not even sure how much I would benefit from a bump, and I'm into compositing and pushing the boundaries inside FCP a fair bit.

I probably will go up to 4GB though, when I can get myself together to order it.

April 26, 2008 12:37PM
That's funny, Jude...my years of training have taught me that it's easier to have multiple apps open so as not to have to wait for them to launch. It makes for more productivity when I have to edit the original image in the app where it was created. This is especially helpful when I am working on 2 & 3 projects at the same time = I can be rendering in After Effects & FCP while building supers in Photoshop... that kind of thing. Max RAM rocks in my little world spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 26, 2008 01:36PM
i have 5g on a 1.8 dual ppc, and 7g on a 3.0 quad intell.

the 1.8 ppc can run motion, fcp, ps, mail, safari, firefox, and itunes at one time.

the 3.0 intel has 7 and most of my fcs1 apps open real slow like 2-3min. i do have a lot of plugs but once they open they run nicely.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 26, 2008 02:22PM
> my years of training have taught me that it's easier to have multiple apps open so as not to
> have to wait for them to launch.

I do a mix-and-match -- if I know I'm dealing with still images, I'll leave Photoshop open in the background. But in my experience, it's not good to leave networking software open at the same time as editing. It slows me way down when some other office staff accesses my computer via the network while I'm using FCP, and can cause crashes, corruptions etc. So I leave things like iChat and Fetch closed. Probably also because they launch from scratch very quickly, but Photoshop, DVD Studio Pro etc. take much longer, long enough to hinder a thought process.

www.derekmok.com
April 26, 2008 09:34PM
No I meant the years of training was from the time when you couldn't run more than one app at a time. All the 68k years.

In fact I have a friend who has a Mac mini with whatever is max RAM on that - 1.5GB? 2GB? who is a musician and graphic designer and he runs all the CS stuff at once, as well as Firefox and sometimes Safari as well (his GF prefers it), email, and then plays in Logic with everything going at once. I find it horrifying, but it seems to work for him. He says sometimes Garageband doesn't cope and you have to lock down tracks, but that's all. I look at his dock with about thirty items in it, most of them with the 'I'm running' triangle next to them, and shudder. Just habit, of course. He has no trouble at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics