Using Gradients to tweak the sky

Posted by strypes 
Using Gradients to tweak the sky
May 01, 2008 01:01PM
Hmm... I can't seem to get it to work properly. So i'm trying to tweak a shot where i have a face on the corner of the screen and a washed out sky. I add a gradient generator, change the color a bit, set it on overlay, and it goes right across the face... Do i matte out the gradient layer and feather that? How do u guys use the gradient?
Re: Using Gradients to tweak the sky
May 01, 2008 01:39PM
Is your sky completely unsalvageable? Because if there's some blue to be recovered, you could consider using a very modified version of the shot (eg. with Saturation jacked way up) as your matte, rather than a gradient.

www.derekmok.com
May 01, 2008 01:43PM
>Is your sky completely unsalvageable?

It's white on the monitor, and a flat line across the top of the vector scopes. Yes, which is why I use a gradient. Equatorial regions are much harder to shoot due to the intensity and angle of the sun at noon. I used to include a feathered matte of the video and color that to get some gradients in the sky, but now i'm thinking of using the gradient generator instead.
May 02, 2008 07:28AM
I would us a garbage matte feathered up a bit to hold back the foreground.
Next time break out the polarizer.
May 02, 2008 09:08AM
Linear gradients on skies are lame. Skies don't look like that. I spent a lot of my time at The Golf Channel color correcting camera filter gradients that the cameraman used on shoots. You ever see a purple gradient sky on a golf course? Yuck.

If it's a lock down camera shot, I would mask off as much foreground as possible and go out with a digital camera and take a few stills of a nice blue sky (on the same angle as your clip) with some scattered clouds for texture. Finishing with Color Correction / Vignetting in After Effects. Here's 2 perfect examples from 2 spots I did:

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 02, 2008 10:01AM
Nice one, Joe! I love the Donald Trump one. What I actually used to do, was to use 2 layers of a feathered matte above the footage that i was on, and tweak different colors to them on with the 3 way. But nothing beats real clouds. Hmm... Getting the clouds behind Donald Trump's moving head must have been difficult. Motion tracked that one?

I'm still kinda lost the moment i hit the overlay mode with the gradients. i'd like to know how that works as well. So it's about feathering and matting the gradient layer?

My pet effect in color balancing, is actually to tweak the whites one direction, and the mids towards the complimentary direction to even out the tone. Since the whites usually affects the sky, and the mids will bring the tone on the buildings back, it adds a certain tone to most footages. But man! that's a nice tip on the sky.

Would be great if i can get colorista up and running on this system. I was having this problem with sunset clouds- everything was yellow, which was nice, but when i tried introducing some whites, I had yellow residue left on the edges of some of the clouds (which fell midway between white and mids, i guess).
May 02, 2008 11:26AM
Damn, that's some nice work, Joe!

Is it all masking, or if the sky is truly that blown out, can you use a luma key to pull it out?

The Donald's hair is so feathered already that I'd be afraid to feather anything around his head...

Jeff
May 02, 2008 02:24PM

Getting the clouds behind Donald Trump's moving head must have been difficult. Motion tracked that one?

Rotoscoping (frame by frame) in After Effects with multiple feathered masks. Each of these clips are around 5 seconds long (150 frames each). That shoot was on the most miserable day and Donald is very particular about his hair so I made sure not to choke the mask too tight around his head winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics