DVD stuck in MacBook

Posted by Mike Watson 
DVD stuck in MacBook
May 08, 2008 04:46PM
Hi all,

I received a DVD with some media on it last night. Popped it in my MacBook to copy it over to the network. It wouldn't appear on the desktop, or in finder. I pressed eject, and nothing happens.

I re-started, holding eject... nothing. I can hear the DVD "spin up" when I start the machine, but it never appears in finder, and will not eject. It's as if OS X doesn't think there is a disk inserted.

I even tried gently inserting another disk, as if to "nudge" it into place, but no go.

The media on this disk is (naturally) on deadline.

Suggestions?
Re: DVD stuck in MacBook
May 08, 2008 05:38PM
A quick search brings up:
<<
You can add an eject menu item.

Go to the desktop, find your harddrive icon, double click, then find and double click 'System', then 'Library', then 'CoreServices' and then 'Menu Extras'. Inside you will find an item called Eject.menu.
This puts an eject icon in the menu bar.

An alternative is to use some freeware called Ejector which shows all volumes as ejectable.
>>

I have the eject.menu installed and I seem to remember it has ejected some troublesome disks in the past.

Also during startup you can...
<<Press Eject, F12, or hold the mouse button Ejects any removable media, such as an optical disc.>>
May 08, 2008 06:00PM
trevora
Also during startup you can...
<<Press Eject, F12, or hold the mouse button Ejects any removable media, such as an optical disc.>>

Right, tried that, without luck.

I will look for "ejector".

-MW
May 08, 2008 07:25PM
Just for form, did the disk have a paper label on it?

If all the usual suspects (Mouse Button During Startup) fail, you may be in for a drive replacement. Macs have fairly serious methods of emergency ejection. They knew this was going to happen. I think you're already in doo doo, but if you have a few more options, go for it.

One more from the ridiculous past. Make sure your battery is charged completely. Turn the MacBook off, slip it inside a plastic bag and slide it into the refrigerator. Come back in a half-hour or longer and start it with the "mouse" button held down. Keep holding. If you get the gray apple, it didn't work.

Koz
May 08, 2008 07:41PM
Saw this on-line:
[www.macusers.org]

Also, I've seen it happen on a couple of occasions that when a DVD won't play, it's warpped. That might be what's holding it on too.

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
May 08, 2008 09:03PM
Reboot while holding down the touchpad bar until the disk pops out.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 08, 2008 09:53PM
In the older powerbooks you could stick the point of a paperclip in either the left or right side of the slot (about 1" deep or so) and it would pop it out. I don't know if this is true for the macbooks.
May 09, 2008 10:06AM
Fascinating. As a final resort--

1) remove the optical drive module

2) preheat oven to 750 degrees

3) place in middle rack

4) bake for half an hour or until disc plastic melts out

[Alright , I'm kidding-- you can't sue me. I mean, really, most consumer ovens don't go past 650.]

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 10, 2008 09:17AM
If you have Toast installed, upon it, and find the "Eject Disk" command. Always works for me...
May 10, 2008 04:58PM
You can also lauch iTunes and click on the 'Eject' button.

--ken
May 10, 2008 05:39PM
Hey Mike,

Did you resolve this? How?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics