Posted by bj 
bj
Promax closes shop
May 16, 2008 09:43AM
Unfortunately Promax is closing shop.

[www.digitalproductionbuzz.com]
Re: Promax closes shop- Uh oh!
May 16, 2008 01:17PM
This is a problem. Just yesterday, I recommended Promax to a friend in SoCal who was looking for a bare-minimum FCP travel system. Does anyone know of any other reputable Promax-like establishments out there?

Thanks in advance.
May 16, 2008 01:33PM
In So Cal?

Mac Hollywood

Melrose Mac

Creative Media Partners

DR Group

Just to name a few.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: Promax closes shop
May 16, 2008 08:19PM
This is no accident...this is a trend. Boutiques & other industry shops are popping up in the most out-of-the-way places because 1. Satellite uplinks, remote transfer of files and Fedexing larger materials makes it possible to work A-NY-WHERE and 2. the cost of living in California is unbareable. Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, North Carolina to name a few have some high end studios turning out National high end work & Feature Films. I honestly do not know how those of you that live & work in Cali do it. I tried to come out there a few times...couldn't find a livable house for my family in a decent neighborhood for less then $650,000. I would have to make shane ross money winking smiley

I feel for Promax...another economic casualty.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 16, 2008 09:27PM
Feel for lafcpug too. They were our sole sponsor for our meetings since the very beginning.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 17, 2008 10:53AM
>I would have to make shane ross money

You mean like 5 shanes and rosses?

www.strypesinpost.com
May 17, 2008 11:51AM
Excerpt from Wikipedia on Currencies
The "Shane Ross", "Shoss" or "Rossolar" was introduced at in 2003 as a State alternative to the ailing Dollar after Governor Schwarzenegger (not yet elected) had to attend an edit of his first Political drama "Democracy is for Weenies".

According to sources - so impressed was he with the stability of "The Ross" that upon inauguration the Governor immediately introduced a 'Secret' currency of that namesake to be used as legal tender in the transactions surrounding Media. The control of which would help to combat money laundering in the industry from the Big Mafia families ~ namely the Florida Morellis ~ who at this point had almost sewn up the entire Eastern seaboard with High quality motion graphics and where now moving in to the former territory of 'Old Blue Eyes'.

The rumor that it originally came from a mispronunciation of Arnie's old drinking hangout the "Bane Schloss" [German lang. "Castle of Pain in the Arse"] in the Austrian Tyrol have not been confirmed.

The Shane Ross was so instrumental in helping international media sales that SONY Inc had a special High Quality version of the HDCAM® made in honor of the editor who had so inspired the Governor. The HDCAM® SR? was released in 2003 just in time for the rich kids to record "Battlestar Galactica" in HD.

The SR comes in denominations of 1sr (or Sir) to 10sh (or Shush) or 100cs (Common Senses).

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 17, 2008 11:55AM
I smell beer in here!

www.derekmok.com
May 17, 2008 11:58AM
>The rumor that it originally came from a mispronunciation of Arnie's old drinking hangout the
>"Bane Schloss" [German lang. "Castle of Pain in the Arse"] in the Austrian Tyrol have not been
> confirmed.

The Governator didn't frequent any Austrian hangouts... It was a Japanese one!
Like you've never seen him before!

www.strypesinpost.com
May 17, 2008 12:07PM
BOY, did this get blown out of proportion. When I said "shane ross money", I meant shane ross-type INCOME, not money printed with shanes' picture on it - sheesh eye rolling smiley drinking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 17, 2008 12:53PM
Even I don't make Shane Ross money. Well, I might, but I don't own a house out here. Who the hell can afford a house out here? When I first moved out here and make $600/week, I couldn't afford the outlandish $325,000 2-bedroom home. Now that I make...more...I STILL cannot afford that house, because the same friggin house is $750,000! WTF!

Oh...wait...isn't this a thread about ProMAx?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 17, 2008 12:55PM
Cali might be bad but UK is worse. Don't know how anyone survives there.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 17, 2008 01:23PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> couldn't find a
> livable house for my family in a decent
> neighborhood

There are decent neighborhoods here?

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
May 17, 2008 07:01PM
Thanks Mike. I've heard DR Group mentioned but that's not the sort of name that comes to mind when looking for TV gear. Sounds more like a defense contractor.
May 18, 2008 11:20AM

Cali might be bad but UK is worse. Don't know how anyone survives there.

Its a nightmare! The average house price in the UK is £220,000+ thats about $440,000...

Lucky for me I bought a house about 6 years ago just at the start of a big rise in property prices.

In the area of Bristol that I live at the moment the average house price is near the half million pound mark (US$1m) with some properties going for over the mill... (US$2m)

An apartment will set you back between £120,000 (US$240,000) for a pokey little studio apartment (aka cupboard) to maybe £250,000+ (US$500,000) for a 3 bedroom apartment with separate living and kitchen areas.

London is even worse... add maybe 50% to 100% on average.

Getting back OT:

I'm really sorry to hear that ProMax have shut up shop, it seems both sides of the pond are reeling from the dip in the property market, the greedy banks and the credit crisis they created. Not to mention bad management of the state/national budgets by big business oriented politicians and the resulting tax hikes that follow.

The worst thing is my rates have stayed the same for the last 2 years to be competitive, whilst my living and running costs have risen by about 20-30%!!!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 18, 2008 12:26PM
Time to raise the rate Ben.

And those Japanese "energy" drinks? Two top ingredients: caffeine and nicotine.

Promax R.I.P. and hope someone in the business community will step up and sponsor the LAFCPUG meetings. I would think it is a great opportunity for some vendor.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics