markers in multiclip

Posted by Lisha 
markers in multiclip
May 28, 2008 04:43PM
Hello to all,

Working with FCP 6.0.3 How do you work with Markers in a multiclip? When I put a marker on my multiclip in the timeline, the clip in the browser does not notate the marker i.e.; all of the markers in the timeline are not listed in the browser.

I have a 4-camera shoot, documentary. I need to mark the different topics being discussed. How do I make a list of what the the subjects are saying? We don't have transcripts. confused smiley

Thoughts?

As always, thanks in advance!
Peace,
Lisha
Re: markers in multiclip
May 28, 2008 04:59PM
[www.bosfcpug.org]

I think I found the answer, but if anyone has a work around or if something has changed since this article was written, please chime in. smileys with beer

I really need to be able to see the title of each Marker so I can go to the topic quickly in my timeline.

Thanks again! Lisha
May 28, 2008 06:58PM
Markers added to clips in your timeline won't show up back in the Browser until you physically drag a new version of the clip instance back to the Browser-- I would suggest dragging to a different, Marked Clips bin for these.

Then you should be able to disclose all the Markers you've added to the clip. This is a good way to mark a camera reel capture for editing. Once you've created the link back to your Browser, you can treat this instance as your new master clip, edit from it and Match Frame back to it, and more important for you, since you name each marker by topic, you'll see them all listed in the Browser clip disclosed list.

Note, as Nick Meyers reminds, that you can't match back to the original Master from whence this came-- and if you've performed any editing from that original master before Timeline mark-up, sequence media management may be problematic.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 30, 2008 02:53AM
the sad news is that the only one way to get effective markers in multiclips,
is to add them to the clips BEFORE you make them into multis.

keeping the clips in a timeline just to have markers on them is a bit lame,
but it will work, of course.

if at all possible i would try to add the markers to your original clips and make the multis again.

if you wanted to be really thorough, you would add the markers to ALL 4 angles,
but that's something you would want to automate somehow.

nick
June 03, 2008 09:44AM
"the sad news is that the only one way to get effective markers in multiclips,
is to add them to the clips BEFORE you make them into multis."

This is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I just noticed that none of my multiclip markers that I made yesterday exist today.

I go back and forth between Avid and FCP from job to job and am fine with it. Either one usually works for me. But yes, this is making me wish so much that this feature doc I'm working on, which is based on a four camera shoot, was being cut on an Avid.

Marking clips, multicam or not, is such a simple and extraordinarliy common thing that we editors rely on everyday. I'm just flabbergasted.

I also always been annoyed that there's only one color of marker. No one else seems to care much, but I use different colors all the time in Avid.

Garret
June 03, 2008 10:39AM
Let's add it to the list for the next version!thumbs downmoody smiley

Lisha
June 03, 2008 06:48PM
"This is OUTRAGEOUS!!!"

"Let's add it to the list for the next version!"

agreed and agreed!
June 03, 2008 06:59PM
Its a big feature request Garrett. Let us hope it gets implemented. Send feedback to Apple. They do listen. We got Steve Bayes there reading all the feedback and feature requests.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics