Missing plug ins

Posted by shelleyrae 
Missing plug ins
May 31, 2008 08:39AM
Hi,

After I upgraded to FCS2, six of my plug ins are not showing up in my FC Effects browser window nor the generator pull down menu. I can see that they are all there when I go to Hard drive-Library-Application support-Final Cut Support-Plugins. Eight folders show up in Plug Ins: Joes Filters, Tellys FX, Text Scrambler.bundle, Title 3D bundle, Title Crawl.bundle, TMTS Free, Too Much Too Soon, Vector Shape Bundle.

The only plug in from above list that appears up in the Effect browser in FC is Too Much Too Soon.

How do I get the other seven plug ins to appear in my FC Effects browser?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Missing plug ins
May 31, 2008 11:13AM
Hmm... those seem like fxscript plugins. They should work. try dragging a plugin directly into the plugins folder. Does it show up there?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 01, 2008 12:43PM
As strypes said they should show up. If not you can still use the old fashion method: select FCP in Finder press cmd-I and add them manually down there on the Plug-ins part of the info window.

Andreas
June 01, 2008 03:24PM
Also, there seems to be another place to store the plug ins... Quit Final Cut Pro and from the Finder, hit Shift Apple A for applications, right click drop down menu, "show package contents", and there is a "plug ins" folder (actually 2- one called "plugins" another called "plug-ins"winking smiley. i think "plugins" is the folder that stores plug ins. Drag them there and run Final Cut Pro.

Anyone knows why this mysterious plug in folder exists?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 02, 2008 12:30PM
"As strypes said they should show up. If not you can still use the old fashion method: select FCP in Finder press cmd-I and add them manually down there on the Plug-ins part of the info window."

I tried adding manually via this method but it somehow corrupted my application and now I can't open FC at all. I get a message that says the application is corrupt. Fortunately, this is my FC on the laptop and I don't have any jobs on it right now. Should I just reinstall FCP?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 02, 2008 12:52PM
In this case you really should do an re-install

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
June 02, 2008 01:34PM
That's what I thought. So I'm in the processing of installing now. I thought there would be a way to just install FC but I had to install the entire FCS2 including all the content for Motion, Soundtrack and LiveType. I checked the box for FC and the others were grayed out. But it still made me install the whole thing. What happens to the content that is already there? Is it overwritten by the new install or duplicated? And I'm also wonder if the old, corrupted files are still going to be hanging around causing problems?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 02, 2008 02:55PM
Well now I'm completely stumped. I successfully re-installed FC. I saved a copy of all the third party plug ins and copied them to the Hard drive - Library - Application Support - Final Cut Support - Plugins - I also see that the 3D text bundle that comes with Final Cut is there in the Plugins folder. But when I open FC neither the plug ins that come with Final Cut nor any of the 3rd party plug ins show up in the effects browser EXCEPT for TMTS. For some I have always been able to see TMTS in the Browser.

I also tried adding the plug ins manually as suggested above and still no luck.

By the way, I also have the same problem with the plugins not showing up in the browser on my desktop version of FC.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 02, 2008 03:44PM
TMTS Plugins are uncompiled FxScript files, rather than compiled plugins. They have the extension .txt and can be opened and edited as plain text.

I don't know why that would make a difference in what you can see in Effects, but that is a key difference between TMTS and most all other Plugins. Having the same problem with an entirely different machine is very weird. Something about the visibility of files?

I'm stumped too, if that helps tongue sticking out smiley

Scott
June 02, 2008 03:59PM
I'm stumped too. Are you absolutely sure the plugins are not in there? Often they are hidden inside folders and you might be looking for the name of the plug-in from the list of folders in the Effects drop down. In other words they might be there and you are just not finding them.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 02, 2008 04:42PM
What about the other ways you can see your plugins? Effects menu (not tab), or the generator pulldown at the lower right of the Viewer window. Anything show up there that you aren't seeing on the Effects tab in the Browser?

Scott
June 02, 2008 08:54PM
i'm just guessing here,

but do a get info in those plugin folders, or the plugins themselves,
have a look at the Ownership & Permissions.
or maybe they are locked??

speaking of permissions, open disk utility, and run "Repair Permissions"
they can get mixed up a bit during installs.

nick
June 03, 2008 06:28AM
What happens when you right click the plug-in from the finder and select "open with final cut". A possible corrupt plug in?

When you start up FC, one of the first things final cut does is to access the plug ins folder. You should be able to see it scanning for those files. Does it do that?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 03, 2008 12:24PM
I got my third party plugs in working properly on my Mac Pro Desktop. Still having problems with the Laptop. I reinstalled FC, ran software update and disc utility. Then I looked I compared the contents. On my desktop, when I "get info" on FC, it shows four files under Plug-ins, the Laptop shows only two. Both Desktop and Laptop have the same software installed, i.e, FCS2.

Files under Plug-ins for Desktop (MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHZ Duel-Core Intel Xeon) OS 10.4.11:

AVDHD.RADPLUG
P2RADPLUG
DVCPROHD FRAME RATE CONVERTER
VDU.RADPlug

Files under Plug-ins for Laptop (MacBook Pro) OS 10.4.11:
DVCPROHD FRAME RATE CONVERTER
VDU.RADPlug

Then when I compare "show package contents"

The matching folders appear under PlugIns. There is also a Plug-in folder that is empty. And a Plug-in Diasabled folder that is empty on both systems.

On the Desktop the DVCPROHD shows up as a bundle icon under but as a folder on the Laptop.
On the laptop, Text Scrambler.bundle, Title 3D.bundle, Title Crawl.bundle, and Vector Shape.bundle show up as folders under FC Application support - Plugins. In the contents of these folders are exe files on the laptop but as bundle icons on the desktop. There are two third party plug-ins that are functioning properly on the laptop. TMTS and Natress Film 2.5.2 Filters. These appear as bundle icons also. All the items that have a bundle icon before the name show up in the Effect Browser and generator tab.

I have tried to copy the title bundles from the desktop to the laptop, but it converts to the exe file
when drag-dropped to the Plugins folder.

Not sure where to go from here.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 03, 2008 01:55PM
I would stay away from the "package" method of updating plugins. That place is reserved for "built-in" plugins, and isn't for 3rd party ones. Did you run repair permissions, or at least check Ownership & Permissions from "get info" on any of the plugin files you aren't seeing in FCP?

The business of showing files as exe is starting to sound like a type/creator conflict, although that is not supposed to be so much of an issue on OS X. On the bundle plugins I have, they are type "FCSC" and creator "KeyG". On the txt plugins though, like the TMTS ones, they are type TEXT and creator R*ch.

And how did you finally get them working on the Mac Pro?

Scott
June 03, 2008 02:07PM
I deleted and reinstalled all my 3rd party plugins and they are now all showing up on my both laptop and desktop computers. A nice victory. I did not use the "package" method, for reinstalling the 3rd party plugins. I just dropped them in the Application Support-Final Cut Pro-Plugins folder.
The desktop also shows the Text Scrambler.bundle, Title 3D.bundle, Title Crawl.bundle, and Vector Shape.bundle. All is well with the desktop.

But -- on my laptop the effects are not showing in the browser nor the generator or effects tab once FC is open. These effects do, however appear Application Support-FC Pro Plugins but do not appear once FC is open.

Is there somewhere I could download just these missing effects that ship with FC? Again they are: Text Scrambler.bundle, Title 3D.bundle, Title Crawl.bundle, and Vector Shape.bundle

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 03, 2008 02:56PM

Is there somewhere I could download just these missing effects that ship with FC?

Have you looked on your FCS install CD? They are in the Extras folder, ready to be installed/reinstalled. They don't automatically install during an FCS install, you have to do it manually.

Scott
June 03, 2008 03:22PM
Yes I looked on my FSC install CD. They are not there either. I found a forum that addresses this problem. Apparently it's related to QT 7.4

Looks like the QuickTime 7.4 update broke a number of things including the Boris plug-ins. Basically they have lost their bundle flags so are not being recognized by Final Cut Express (or Pro).

They provide a link with the fix but when I click on it, it starts downloading, gets about 70% complete then the screen freezes. This happens on both my Macs. I have tried several times with both computers. Will someone click on this link and let me know if you are able to complete the download?

[www.borisfx.com]

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 03, 2008 03:38PM
I can tell by some of your other posts that today is not your favorite day winking smiley.

The Boris package is not there on your install CD, or just won't work? Never heard of it being completely missing. There were definitely some issues with Boris and a certain release of QT, but I don't remember the details.

When I click on that link I get a screen full of garbage and complete browser lockup. Maybe if I came at it from another page, but I don't know what it would be.

So you are running QT 7.4? There have been a number of updates since then (my Update wants me to install 7.4.5). I haven't been keeping up on the magic combinations since I don't have your setup, but somebody must have some wisdom.

Scott
June 03, 2008 03:48PM
No the Boris package was not on the install disc. I looked under extras and there were a few other things but no Boris package.

So you got the same thing that I did when clicking on that link. Just a bunch of computer language and then the lockup.

I really don't think it's QT7.4 related because Boris was not showing even before I updated to QT7.4 or did the re-install.

Thanks for checking the link. At least I know it's not my system or internet connection.

You're right. Not my favorite day but not as bad as last June when I lost month long project and spent three days with Data Rescue recovering my project. But now I have a bullet proof backup system. Live and learnsmiling smiley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 03, 2008 04:03PM
Can you try the install disk for your other system? It obviously worked better over there. I don't think there would be any serial number issues.

Unless FCS2 is using a different method for Boris install. I have FCS1; I think Boris installed from an Extras folder since FCP 4. Don't have any disks handy to check now.

Wish I could be more help. You should have more standard problems tongue sticking out smiley.

Scott
June 03, 2008 05:41PM
I checked the install disc of the previous FCS version (crossgrade) and Boris wasn't in that Extra folder either.

I went to the BorisFX site and was able to download that script fix from the site. I ran the script, But it didn't fix itsad smiley

I guess I'll have to learn to live without Boris on the laptop unless I want to spend an agonizing day on the phone with Apple Support or at the Mac Store. I think I'd rather chop my baby finger off.

I do most of my editing on the Desktop anyway, but it's still a bummer not to able use it on the MacBook Pro.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 03, 2008 07:30PM
Peter McCauley via the Cow

Follow this link to download the fix, then follow the instructions listed below to install it.

[www.borisfx.com]

Here's the long and the short of it.

The four bundle files that make up the Boris titling application called Calligraphy rely on the operating system to flag them as bundles instead of folders.

In some cases (like if you update FCP or your OS) these bundles get mislabeled as folders, therefore FCP can not "see" them and you lose your titles.

The fix for this is simple. Herewith is a link to where you can download a set of new bundle files that identify themselves as bundles. Once you've downloaded them, locate the FCP plugins folders here: Hard Drive>Library>Application Support>Final Cut Pro System Support>Plugins. In there you should find the four FOLDERS named: "Text Scrambler.bundle", "Title 3D.bundle", "Title Crawl.bundle" and "Vector Shape.bundle". Delete those FOLDERS and replace them with the FILES you just downloaded. That's it.

If you had trouble downloading the files, some users not using Safari had trouble. So try that if you got an incomplete download.

Good luck.

[forums.creativecow.net]

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
June 03, 2008 07:49PM
Hooray!

All my previous attempts to download were with Firefox. I was able to successfully download the files using Safari and it is FIXED!

Thank you. Thank You. Thank You.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
June 03, 2008 08:26PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics