switching system drives........

Posted by FindonChrispy 
switching system drives........
June 02, 2008 06:41AM
At home i am still using a Powermac G4 Dual 1ghz which although is a bit old, suites me for what i do and i am saving (albeit) slowly for a new machine in the mean time.

The problem i have is that the system drive is only 40 gb, while the internal libarary drive is 80gb.

Is it possible to switch these and turn the larger drive into the system drive? Is there anyhting, i need to check first to see if its possible?

I have a couple of external drives that hold al my video, graphics and music but have found the 40gb for the system drive is a bit small.....

Any thoughts much appreciated......
Re: switching system drives........
June 02, 2008 07:01AM
Yes you can absolutely upgrade the drives in those - I think mine had three 300Gb drives in total - can't quite remember now, but if you contact your Mac store they will be able to advise, order and install them if you want.

You can do them yourself, but it's better to get someone who knows what they are doing to set them up correctly, and use the right anti-static equipment to do it.

The Mac Pros have a much better system where you can swap drives in and out of sliding slots, and those don't really require you to get someone else to install them, unless you're doing it for warranty purposes.

June 03, 2008 03:11AM
Thanks jude, i'll hold off with my screw drivers until i've spoken to someone at my local mac place..........!
June 03, 2008 07:09AM
Hey Findon

Always check Apple documentation for system upgrade and replacement information...

[support.apple.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics